Creating a build/wizard/zip without uploading it online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
I was wondering with all these builds available that you can download online and install is it possible just to make one on a zip put it on a flashdrive and install from there? I tried doing it myself and of course it failed does anyone know the necessary steps to making a build. I just want to put it on a flash drive and give it to my less technologically inclined friends and family.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Can I ask a few question in return?

Let's say you do this, give it to your friends, and (purely hypothetically) after a few days they come back to you complaining that xxx doesn't work and yyy crashes and zzz locks up their box how capable do you rate yourself to be able to fix their problems? If you've tried and failed to make a build already then do you feel capable of interpreting debug logs, editing XML files, coding PYTHON fixes etc.

If you're happy doing all that and being the primary source of support for your friends then go for it and enjoy their kudos. If however you're putting your faith in the add-on authors and others on here fixing your build if\when it breaks then I'm afraid you might be disappointed.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
Can I ask a few question in return?

Let's say you do this, give it to your friends, and (purely hypothetically) after a few days they come back to you complaining that xxx doesn't work and yyy crashes and zzz locks up their box how capable do you rate yourself to be able to fix their problems? If you've tried and failed to make a build already then do you feel capable of interpreting debug logs, editing XML files, coding PYTHON fixes etc.

If you're happy doing all that and being the primary source of support for your friends then go for it and enjoy their kudos. If however you're putting your faith in the add-on authors and others on here fixing your build if\when it breaks then I'm afraid you might be disappointed.
Ok... But no answer to my question. Did you just want to vent? I can edit xml files fine as well as read debug logs btw however I don't feel that's relevant to my question. And coding Python isn't necessary to put together a compilation of addons and some cover art.

Last edited:

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
No, I didn't want to vent. I wanted to try and gauge your coding skills so that any answer I would give would be appropriate. But you seem to have everything in hand so good luck with your endeavours and I'm sure someone with a lot more technical know-how than I possess will be along soon to help you build that Wizard. All the best.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
No, I didn't want to vent. I wanted to try and gauge your coding skills so that any answer I would give would be appropriate. But you seem to have everything in hand so good luck with your endeavours and I'm sure someone with a lot more technical know-how than I possess will be along soon to help you build that Wizard. All the best.
Oh my fault if I misinterpreted your response but it seemed pretty condescending. But why would coding skills be necessary to put together a prearranged build of addons that have already been coded.

CrazyGamerTV

Feb 13, 2016
You will need to know python to make the wizard for your build and you don't need to use a flash drive you should upload it to a website like archive.org...

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
The website hosts a zip file correct? my post was actually created to see if I could do this from a usb flash and not a website.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
I guess I should have been a bit more clear I'm not proficient in Python coding but I do understand the few copy and paste adjustments necessary to make on the files to upload my build online. I was wanting to make this build available on a flash drive as I feel it's just easier to give out a flash drive and have them click install from zip and navigate to that flash drive as opposed to adding source typing links etc. And if they have issues with it I can work from there I personally haven't ran into any serious issues with my build and I've never had my box lock up completely maybe a few freezes but those were rare.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
" I just want to put it on a flash drive and give it to my less technologically inclined friends and family."

Follow these steps:
https://www.tvaddons.co/clone-configuration-kodi/

on step 19 put the file on a flash drive

and maybe give them this link

Follow steps 20-38:
step 31 look for the file on the flash drive
https://www.tvaddons.co/clone-configuration-kodi/
Yea I was hoping for the convenience of the wizard. That method requires configuring and installing backup.

CrazyGamerTV

Feb 13, 2016
LOL, What will happen when the addons in your build do not work anymore?
You can't update your build without the flash drive that your friend or family members have and they don't know how to install addons because you don't want to teach them how to even install a back up addon that is in the official kodi repo.....

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
I must just be getting lucky with all the skepticism I've heard already you guys must have ran into some serious issues. I've not ran into an addon not working unless the addon is just down or the developer removed it, and there would be nothing I could do about that if that were the case anyway. There is an addon installer included as I'm sure you guys know, although you took it upon yourself to assume my friends don't know how to use it. But again this has nothing to do with my question.

CrazyGamerTV

Feb 13, 2016
You say hey I can cut and paste someone's wizard to use for my build but you don't seem to know how a wizard works because you ask if it's a zip file that needs to be uploaded to a website. Oh that's right you want to host your build on a flash drive which is pointless because you can't update your build when the people you give these flash drives start to complain that stuff is not working and trust me it will happen. For an example chris b the creator of the ***** build has been updating his build over time for many reasons (addons stop working and kodi 16.0... ect...). If you make a build and wizard it's not just one and done in kodi. You have to keep fixing and updating your build over time....

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
You say hey I can cut and paste someone's wizard to use for my build but you don't seem to know how a wizard works because you ask if it's a zip file that needs to be uploaded to a website. Oh that's right you want to host your build on a flash drive which is pointless because you can't update your build when the people you give these flash drives start to complain that stuff is not working and trust me it will happen. For an example chris b the creator of the ***** build has been updating his build over time for many reasons (addons stop working and kodi 16.0... ect...). If you make a build and wizard it's not just one and done in kodi. You have to keep fixing and updating your build over time....
Again more false assumptions. If you're gonna keep deviating from the scope of my question you may as well stop talking as I don't plan to read it anymore. Also last time I checked addons have repositories that update themselves. But if you don't know any information regarding the actual premise of this post why keep talking? I'm not even trying to be rude but do you even remember what the original question was or do you just want to tell me why I shouldn't attempt this. I've already established my reasons for wanting to do this and it's not to emulate Chris b so to keep it simple. If it doesn't apply let it fly.

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
I think the problem with this thread is (i hope) a misunderstanding,
You say you want to copy and paste some code to get a wizard to work.
And you want to make it for "whoever"
And you know some python.
You have mentioned a build and a wizard? Which is it?
also are you proficient in coding or not ( The copy / paste statement implies the latter)

If it is the latter, and something DOES go wrong with your "wizard/build/ whatever" (and it does and WILL happen) who is gonna help them ?
We cant, we dont know what you may or may not put in said build/wiz/whatever.

if it is the former, you should not even need to ask these questions,

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but something is for sure wrong in this thread.

If you only want to help your people out and intro them to it, Why not install fusion as a source, click a few buttons, install a few addons, and be done?

Or is it you just want to make a build.wizard/ etc etc ?

Ill give yall the benefit of the doubt and bit to explain the issue , then im shutting this thread as its is a disaster waiting to happen.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
I think the problem with this thread is (i hope) a misunderstanding,
You say you want to copy and paste some code to get a wizard to work.
And you want to make it for "whoever"
And you know some python.
You have mentioned a build and a wizard? Which is it?
also are you proficient in coding or not ( The copy / paste statement implies the latter)

If it is the latter, and something DOES go wrong with your "wizard/build/ whatever" (and it does and WILL happen) who is gonna help them ?
We cant, we dont know what you may or may not put in said build/wiz/whatever.

if it is the former, you should not even need to ask these questions,

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but something is for sure wrong in this thread.

If you only want to help your people out and intro them to it, Why not install fusion as a source, click a few buttons, install a few addons, and be done?

Or is it you just want to make a build.wizard/ etc etc ?

Ill give yall the benefit of the doubt and bit to explain the issue , then im shutting this thread as its is a disaster waiting to happen.
I believe it's a bunch of assumptions. I have a skin and a layout that I like with a few addons that are not included with basic fusion. I'd like to be able to be able to install it on some boxes for friends. I see how fast here wizards install and just want the same. I'm not trying to corrupt the community or become the next Eric b or whatever his name is. And I'm not sure why there's so much concern over whether this doesn't work perfectly or I get a script failed error my family and friends don't want to chastise the kodi community. I currently have been transferring my build/setup (whatever you wanna call it) via a usb stick but taking the entire .kodi file it works fine was just wondering if there is a faster way as what I'm doing now takes up close to a gig of space. The builds I've tried seem to be much smaller in size but seem to have similar amount of content. I guess I should have used the term installer instead of wizard to create less of a frenzy. And no as I said I'm not proficient in Python coding the most information I've been able to find on the subject has been on YouTube where they "adapt" these Python files but again I just want something that can install my setup from zip. At this point I'm not even sure what rule I'm breaking by inquiring but if you must close this post then so be it.

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
The problem IMO is you are wanting to make a "way" to add files from here AND that are not from here on an automated "installer". then distribute .( no matter to who is irrelevant) These things just dont always work well, no matter how good or bad the intentions are. there are problems that DO pop up and cause errors , with or with out your "installer". When this happens the person using it WILL look for help, and because some of our stuff is on it, will ultimately come here looking for help. ( UNLESS the "maker" tells them HE will be their support since HE built it , and even then they end up coming here usually) when they do and we tell them we cant help because it IS NOT OUR BUILD, and has things we dont support, without fail they get pissed. Now this sounds , like a cop out but trust me when i say , it happens EVERY DAY, and will happen even if you made a "installer" with only our addons on it . The main concern is that if we didnt build it we can not know exactly what may cause the issue if there is one. Thats why people ask "Are you ready to support this "installer" and are you proficient at python, because if we cant /wont fix it . YOU need to be able to.. You see for us, it is a double edge sword, we cant help cause its not ours , but yet it has our stuff in it ...We get screwed either way . Try to understand why people get up in arms a bit about it .

To close, no one said you were "breaking a rule" BUT, TBH the "So be it " remark sounds a bit smart to me.
If you were IMO blatantly breaking a rule you would have been removed PERIOD. The fact that I SAID "giving the benefit of the doubt" and leaving it open for you to reply should have spoken wonders.

To answer your question, What you want to do is best done the way you are currently doing it ..

I hope you understand and if not "then so be it".

See how it sounds ?

Last edited:

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
The problem IMO is you are wanting to make a "way" to add files from here AND that are not from here on an automated "installer". then distribute .( no matter to who is irrelevant) These things just dont always work well, no matter how good or bad the intentions are. there are problems that DO pop up and cause errors , with or with out your "installer". When this happens the person using it WILL look for help, and because some of our stuff is on it, will ultimately come here looking for help. ( UNLESS the "maker" tells them HE will be their support since HE built it , and even then they end up coming here usually) when they do and we tell them we cant help because it IS NOT OUR BUILD, and has things we dont support, without fail they get pissed. Now this sounds , like a cop out but trust me when i say , it happens EVERY DAY, and will happen even if you made a "installer" with only our addons on it . The main concern is that if we didnt build it we can not know exactly what may cause the issue if there is one. Thats why people ask "Are you ready to support this "installer" and are you proficient at python, because if we cant /wont fix it . YOU need to be able to.. You see for us, it is a double edge sword, we cant help cause its not ours , but yet it has our stuff in it ...We get screwed either way . Try to understand why people get up in arms a bit about it .

To close, no one said you were "breaking a rule" BUT, TBH the "So be it " remark sounds a bit smart to me.
If you were IMO blatantly breaking a rule you would have been removed PERIOD. The fact that I SAID "giving the benefit of the doubt" and leaving it open for you to reply should have spoken wonders.

To answer your question, What you want to do is best done the way you are currently doing it ..

I hope you understand and if not "then so be it".

See how it sounds ?
Well the "so be it" actually was meant respectfully as I am aware you are a developer and again my intention was never to be a burden to the community. I can understand the up in arms nature to which my question received based on your response, was not aware this was such a common occurrence. I have no problem continuing to manually transfer my "arrangement" like I've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.