Crystalbuntu & Frodo rc2

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
I have crystalbuntu installed on my atv1 and is working fine. but now i'd like to update XBMC to Frodo RC2 does anyone have any ideas how to install the new frodo on the ATV1? thanks for any help....

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
You cannot unless you want to uninstall crystalbuntu... Ad I hope you don't ;)

Wait for the release to be official and then you will get crystalbuntu and/or openELEC with a frodo release. If you are desperate... You can install openELECS beta 3 which is frodo... And it is the same idea as crystalbuntu... A Linux build.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
i thought everyone was saying that you had to install crystalbuntu (linux) before you could install Frodo....? because frodo wont run on the apple OS? now your saying you have to uninstall crystalbuntu to install frodo? i'm confused...

Last edited:

bucketmouth

Dec 31, 2012
im running openelec with frodo rc2 on my ATV 1 and it is stable and smooth....no issues...openelec can install in minutes

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
im running openelec with frodo rc2 on my ATV 1 and it is stable and smooth....no issues...openelec can install in minutes
what would be the easiest way to install openelec? and does it overwrite your HD? or can you just boot off of a usb like crystalbuntu....

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Crystalbuntu & Frodo rc2

Allow to try and help. Projects like crystalbuntu and openelec are the exact same. They take XBMC, and create a LINUX operating system that has XBMC as the heart and brains.

Crystalbuntu is one guy named SAM.
openeELEC is a small team of people.

Frodo runs on any machine EDEN runs on... There is no difference there... Or any need for a prerequisite set, such as crystalbuntu.

So, crystalbuntu is a LINUX build with XBMC EDEN as its EVERYTHING. openELEC is the same, BUT,,, ATHEY NOW HAVE BETAS RELEASE of a frodo version. OpenELEC 3.0 betas.

CRYSTALBUNTU may very well get a build out to include frodo, but at this point openELEC has better, on going, support... IMHO.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
Allow to try and help. Projects like crystalbuntu and openelec are the exact same. They take XBMC, and create a LINUX operating system that has XBMC as the heart and brains.

Crystalbuntu is one guy named SAM.
openeELEC is a small team of people.

Frodo runs on any machine EDEN runs on... There is no difference there... Or any need for a prerequisite set, such as crystalbuntu.

So, crystalbuntu is a LINUX build with XBMC EDEN as its EVERYTHING. openELEC is the same, BUT,,, ATHEY NOW HAVE BETAS RELEASE of a frodo version. OpenELEC 3.0 betas.

CRYSTALBUNTU may very well get a build out to include frodo, but at this point openELEC has better, on going, support... IMHO.
thanks for the reply... does openelec boot off of a usb stick like CB does? or does it d-load it on to the HD? plus i only have a windows pc to work with, can i make the openelec usb with my windows pc, like you can with CB?