Custom Arcade running XBMC

Panda Monium

Oct 12, 2012
XBMC.org just posted this on their Facebook page and I found it pretty neat, check it out.

[video=youtube;w1-zIzOSCgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w1-zIzOSCgw[/video]

May 6, 2012
England
Nice cab, I'm making a very similar tabletop version myself at the moment. Thought I'd try a tabletop one this time as it's easier to move about... The thinking behind it was that its easier to use outside in Sumner and generally doesn't rake up as much room!

May 6, 2012
England
Just old systems or able to play the latest games for Windows too? Also would you want a touchscreen with the pub games on it (Hex, Bullseye, Spot The Difference etc.) and would you want a trackball? A very basic one with all the old systems I could probably do for about £300 whereas a latest spec version would be closer to a grand. These are ballpark figures, I've not actually sat down and worked out the exact costings but if you wanted to make one yourself I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and show you all the things you need.

May 6, 2012
England
MAME is the emulator that runs old skool arcade games, Hyperspin is the frontend - think of it a little like XBMC and the emulators are the addons (these emulate different systems - SNES, Gameboy, Megadrive etc.). To be honest it takes a lot of time and hard work to make these units, I really only do it as a hobby but if you really didn't want to make one yourself I'll put a price list together and get my old website up and running again. If there was a demand for these and it was worth my while then I'd consider getting the units professionally cut in bulk which would cut the assembly time down considerably. I'll keep you posted, might take me a week to get the website up and running though. The real killer is the shipping. These are bloody big units so carriage costs will be a fair bit unless you're able to collect from Essex.

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
i used to own a jamma cabinet sold it in the end but wish i didnt i know there real heavy is it basically a jamma cab with a pc inside

May 6, 2012
England
Basically yes, and since the days of old skool arcade units everything has become much smaller and lighter so rather than needing a giant CRT monitor we can now use LCD/LED screens and the computer... well you know how light a computer is! This means if you have an old unit you could just use the bottom section as some sort of cabinet, I saw one guy had stuck a fridge in his - great idea :D

I've never had an old Jamma unit so have only ever made my own but the buttons kinda work in the same way, the only difference is I just install my own buttons to fit my design. These buttons are hooked up to an ipac which basically assigns different keyboard presses to each button and then you configure each emulator accordingly. It's a time consuming process but good fun, if you aren't very good with woodwork then you can quite often pick up some bargains on ebay for old arcade machines - just rip out the insides and start from scratch. An old xbox makes a brilliant arcade machine and is very cheap.

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
i was looking on ebay people selling old black xbox with hyper spin also they got kits to build a cabinet be a bit much for me to do i think

ouguitarman

Jul 8, 2012
@Panda Monium thanks for sharing this here as the response has been very positive overall. I was the one who built and posted it on xbmc.org. I am a huge fan of this site and the fusion installer so wanted to say thanks. @jamie6666 I had around $1800 invested in this thing, but could easily sell for around $3500. Essentially I have one I built for my son that where I learned all the growing pains of hyperspin, mame, other emulators, etc. Buddies were constantly begging me to built them one so I finally gave in as I hated wasting all the gained knowledge. How many do I need you know at home...

Hyperspin is a beast pain in the ass to setup and configure. Take the learning curve of xbmc and multiply by 40. They do not have a solid supporting site like this where there are simple plugins like the fusion installer. If you like tinkering with XBMC I would encourage you to play around with mame and then upgrade to a good frontend like hyperspin. I built a little website explaining the basics of how to set it up http://www.jockvsgeek.com If I am not suppose to post links I apologize to the xbmchub guys and feel free to pull it. Thanks again for this great site.

May 6, 2012
England
Sweet setup mate, I agree about Hyperspin it is totally awesome but does consume up all your life! No idea how many months I've spent renaming files, configuring emulators, creating artwork etc. but it's all worth it in the end. I'll post up my next one when it's finished :)

C-low

Nov 20, 2012
I've been trying to configure my hyperspin off of xbmc for some time now, very time consuming I wonder if it would be easier to set up my emulators with advanced launcher on xbmc instead.

May 6, 2012
England
Hypersync was recently released and it's a great new tool to help set up Hyperspin. It automates pretty much everything for you but I think you do need accounts with hyperspin and EmuMovies but well worth it - you should find you're set up in days rather than months - I'm actually re-doing mine over the next week.

Advanced Launcher is a great little addon but it does require a fair bit of manual editing for certain games that aren't scraped properly. You'll probably find you'll spend a similar amount of time on both but in my opinion Hyperspin wins hands down but everyone has their own preference and I can certainly see why some users prefer Advanced Launcher/Rom Collection Browser.

falafael

Sep 14, 2012
nottinghamshire, uk
Hi mate, sorry for not getting back, yes, basically i wud either a tabletop, or a upright cabinet, no touchscreen, basically, something running mame, and some emulators of such like of msx, amiga, master system, snes, nes, atari, etc etc

So, if you would like to just give me a price, pm me if you like, and we can take it from there mate!
Thanks

falafael

Sep 14, 2012
nottinghamshire, uk
Hi mate, sorry for not getting back, yes, basically i wud either a tabletop, or a upright cabinet, no touchscreen, basically, something running mame, and some emulators of such like of msx, amiga, master system, snes, nes, atari, etc etc

So, if you would like to just give me a price, pm me if you like, and we can take it from there mate!
Thanks

May 6, 2012
England
That's handy to know, I thought it would be a lot more expensive than that. Falafael I'll be in touch as I may have some nice cheap options for you. Can you PM me or get in contact via skype or teamspeak so I don't forget (got a lot going on right now).