Cyanogen Mod on silver ouya

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
OK I finally did it, finally installed cyanogen mod 11 on an old spare ouya I had sitting around.

OK its nice real nice, android 4.4.4

I used:
http://www.s-config.com/cyanogen-mod-and-the-ouya/

Took a few hours, no big issues there.

New Android looks great, plenty of wallpapers, looks, etc.

Google play store works fine- no issues there.

Wifi and Ethernet- all working fine- no issues there.

Kodi 16.1 installs fine, all functionality working like it should- no issues there.

BUT here's the major problem I encountered-
Sound only works sometimes. I ruled out HDMI cable, tried the unit out on 4 different tvs/ computer monitors, all giving same results- sound seems to come on if unit is fully cooled down. Once you turn the unit off OR restart it, the sound goes out especially after it gets hot. So I took the circuit board out of the case and tried to portably cool it, thought that was the answer but then first thing this morning unit was ice cold, and would not give sound.

OK so I thought let's change the zip file for the cyanogen 11, I tried 4 or 5 different cyanogen versions, NO version 12, or version 13 CM mods would be accepted, errors found so wouldn't install.

I tried several other versions of CM 11, some made just for ouya, some generic, NONE would give me wifi and Ethernet except for the one in the tutorial/ installation guide linked above.

So the ouya does work, the CM mod has hopes and promise, but without dependable sound it renders the unit COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, cannot give it away, or use myself.

I MAY go back to regular ouya and just put 14.2 kodi on it and be done with it.

OR I may be on the lookout for a different rom that allows sound all the time.

Until then I will just use my 2 NVidia shields, and my HP windows stream mini.

I had fun doing this, only spent about 15 hours or so on the project.

Very little help or instruction available on the net, basically you're on your own with this mod.

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I wish someone else would try it and see if they get sound or not. I'm now thinking of hitting my other ouya and see if that one will take.

I have some theories why I have intermittent sound:
Hdmi handshake issue- trying to study up on this phenomenon
Did not wipe unit properly beforehand? perhaps I should have done a factory reset first and I didn't.
Something didn't take right on the drive, although I uninstalled and reinstalled all the necessary cm files 5 or 6 times wiping the old each time.
The answer may be to just do it all over again but this will have to wait a week or so because I'm all ouyad out.

Tried to research sound problems with cyanogen on ouya and I get one guy saying he doesn't have sound and the other saying that's expected because there are bugs and its in the warnings given beforehand.

I certainly cannot be the only person in the world that has done this.
I'd love to know the results of others.