Dedicated Mini PC for Kodi? What hardware do I need?

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
Hi

I currently have a pivos xios m3 box, when I bought the device I wanted to go as cheap as possible as I did not know how xbmc would be at the time and did not want to invent more than $100 bucks.

However now after like 2 years, I am sort of getting fed up with it. I find it so slow and sometimes can take me like 20 mins till I finally load up what I want to watch. First it takes so long to navigate through each screen(home screen --> 1 channel -> favorites -> show -> season -> episode -> streaming list modal).

Almost all of these actions should be fast since half of those options should not be pulling any data from the server especially after the first time. The worst is when I get to the show episode and I choose a stream and it fails, the modal box gets closed and I have to reopen that which is like a 2min task.

I tried on my home computer and it is alot faster so I am thinking maybe I should get a mini pc and stick it by my computer but I have no clue what specs I need nor how much that will cost. I know there are alot of other boxes but what I found with android you have very good specs otherwise it is so slow(I had a low end android phone and it was so slow)

Also I use on my box mini network monitor so I can see how fast the stream is downloading at so I am not sure if something like that exists on windows.

Last edited:

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
HP Stream Mini
So built in video card is good enough? The cpu is good enough(I don't know much about it yet but on my home computer I got an i5) also the hard drive space looks look, how much space is left after windows?

Finally can you buy at stores? Can't buy in Canada yet, would have to buy in USA but bestbuy seems to not sell.

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
So built in video card is good enough? The cpu is good enough(I don't know much about it yet but on my home computer I got an i5) also the hard drive space looks look, how much space is left after windows?

Finally can you buy at stores? Can't buy in Canada yet, would have to buy in USA but bestbuy seems to not sell.
Video is good to go.
16gig free after Win and KODI installed. Super fast loading from the SSD.
Just order directly from HP.
Silent, fast, low power consumption and a middle of the road cost between an android box and a nuc device.

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
Video is good to go.
16gig free after Win and KODI installed. Super fast loading from the SSD.
Just order directly from HP.
Silent, fast, low power consumption and a middle of the road cost between an android box and a nuc device.
apparently hp has some chrome os version of it how does it compare to this? How much would building something like this from scratch cost(minus OS system cost)?

I also don't think I can order from hp site a) it is out of stock b) it not available yet in Canada and I don't think I can order from the US version on hp(they won't ship to Canada and if they do it probably would be alot plus duty and tax)

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
The Chromebox is a great alternative to run KODI on.
The Stream would probably be the easy way to go for those that just want an environment ready to download and run KODI on.
I know the Stream sold out quickly and even HP has been hit and miss on stock but they'll let the regular distribution channel have them soon.
I'll see what I can find out on distribution in your area.
If you don't want to wait and don't mind a little technical work then by all means pickup a Chromebox.

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
The Chromebox is a great alternative to run KODI on.
The Stream would probably be the easy way to go for those that just want an environment ready to download and run KODI on.
I know the Stream sold out quickly and even HP has been hit and miss on stock but they'll let the regular distribution channel have them soon.
I'll see what I can find out on distribution in your area.
If you don't want to wait and don't mind a little technical work then by all means pickup a Chromebox.
I did have to setup pivos (re-flash the firmware, install kodi and etc) so I am not too concerned setting it up. I don't know much about them and would have to research into them but in general I prefer MS stuff as what I found for instance with my pivos box that my wireless keyboard would not work 100% with it(I would press for instance like shift + 2 and instead of getting @ I would get something else).

I am also wondering am I still able to use a remote with the stream box? I have a harmony remote but not sure if it is supported or not, I was able to use it with the pivos box and control kodi through it.

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
I did have to setup pivos (re-flash the firmware, install kodi and etc) so I am not too concerned setting it up. I don't know much about them and would have to research into them but in general I prefer MS stuff as what I found for instance with my pivos box that my wireless keyboard would not work 100% with it(I would press for instance like shift + 2 and instead of getting @ I would get something else).

I am also wondering am I still able to use a remote with the stream box? I have a harmony remote but not sure if it is supported or not, I was able to use it with the pivos box and control kodi through it.
I hat gotten the impression you were leaning towards a Windows box thus the recommend of the Stream Mini.
I've had zero issues with the Harmony or the Logitech K400 and the Stream. It's a Windows box [emoji2]

With your flash experience you would have no problem setting up a OpenELEC Chromebox or a dual boot setup.

If you want to do more than run KODI then go with the Stream. If you want a rock solid dedicated KODI box then by all means consider the Chromebox.

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
I hat gotten the impression you were leaning towards a Windows box thus the recommend of the Stream Mini.
I've had zero issues with the Harmony or the Logitech K400 and the Stream. It's a Windows box [emoji2]

With your flash experience you would have no problem setting up a OpenELEC Chromebox or a dual boot setup.

If you want to do more than run KODI then go with the Stream. If you want a rock solid dedicated KODI box then by all means consider the Chromebox.
Well I guess I got to wait to see how much the stream will be in Canada and make my decision then. It just seems like the big difference is the OS that it runs.

I am still looking for some sort of network mini alternative for windows though.

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Also any idea when it will be in retail stores in USA?
It was supposed to hit the channel partners the 15th. I'll see what's going on. The initial offering was to get a feel for market response and HP sold out in a week. The Stream Laptop is selling well in normal channels. MS is behind it with HP to try and catch up with Google Chrome turning out to be the number one seller at Amazon for Chromebook two years in a row.

chobo2

Dec 21, 2012
It was supposed to hit the channel partners the 15th. I'll see what's going on. The initial offering was to get a feel for market response and HP sold out in a week. The Stream Laptop is selling well in normal channels. MS is behind it with HP to try and catch up with Google Chrome turning out to be the number one seller at Amazon for Chromebook two years in a row.
From all the youtube videos I seen this hp stream looks like a solid device and possibly better than the chromebook(you can do more with it and less setup time). I think I am going to get this device but no clue when it will come out in Canada if they are already behind in the USA, but I can always hop the border and get it but needs to get into retail stores first....though like I said not in a huge rush to get it as I still got like a month or so left till my cable promo package runs out and I still got my pivos to tide me over.

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
From all the youtube videos I seen this hp stream looks like a solid device and possibly better than the chromebook(you can do more with it and less setup time). I think I am going to get this device but no clue when it will come out in Canada if they are already behind in the USA, but I can always hop the border and get it but needs to get into retail stores first....though like I said not in a huge rush to get it as I still got like a month or so left till my cable promo package runs out and I still got my pivos to tide me over.
I don't think you can go wrong!
I've got a few Stream laptops I setup for friends at Xmas with the Logitech K400 and they love them plus I haven't had to go back. [emoji2]
The one mini is performing great and I'm done with Android set top boxes.
I'll update when I can on what distribution does.

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
I would think Best Buy and OfficeMax / Staples will have them because they are currently selling the Stream laptop and tablet. March 1st will be here soon!

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
Amazon has both models in stock, 4 left of the cheaper one and 1 left of the 1tb model. HP has the 1TB model in stock with free shipping for 450. Im going to grab one in a week or two. I could have built a mini pc for about the same but this is smaller then what i could build and almost the same specs. I think the pavilion mini is a solid box for the price and size factor

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
The two Pavilions are nice and are in stock.
The Mini is selling for $180 and the 32gig SSD is really fast. I have a NAS for storage so the SSD is fine for my needs.