Direction please

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
I've just recently started looking into an htpc and I apologize for posting this before I know more. ... however every 3 Web pages or forums I look at mention something new and I keep taking turns in my research that aren't getting me closer to what I want. when my wife and I finally sell our house and find a house I plan on finding a closet or making a closet of sorts to run a htpc in. I plan on having central air dedicated to this room to help keep it cool and sound reashouldn't be a problem.
I'm looking at either building a big server that directly connects to the tv and still can stream to xbmc or plex or plexbmc on my fire tvs in other rooms. I want this to be able to game very well. Between using steam and emulators I hope to cover majority of my needs.
am I better off just building a computer straight up or running it dedicated as htpc.... I'm also finding a lot on nas servers. Should I get one of those to do all the streaming? And does that work with the gaming?
sorry for so much and don't worry about answering everything. ...I have time I just feel like I'm wasting time looking at websitesthat are wrong for this.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
In your situation, I think I would go with a nice powerful PC with a good graphics card for your gaming needs. If it's in a closet, then noise and heat shouldn't be a problem so no need to get a HTPC type fanless case. Get Bluetooth controllers and remotes for gaming and media and a long HDMI cable to the TV.

Run with Windows so everything works and stick XBMC on it. If it's got a nice big hard drive then no need for a NAS (a NAS just a hard drive that can be accessed over the network)

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
In your situation, I think I would go with a nice powerful PC with a good graphics card for your gaming needs. If it's in a closet, then noise and heat shouldn't be a problem so no need to get a HTPC type fanless case. Get Bluetooth controllers and remotes for gaming and media and a long HDMI cable to the TV.

Run with Windows so everything works and stick XBMC on it. If it's got a nice big hard drive then no need for a NAS (a NAS just a hard drive that can be accessed over the network)
Thanksmam much appreciated

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Agreed... XBMC, Or soon to be know. As Kodi, is lightweight and can run just fine on almost anything. The caveat for you is gaming. You need a GREAT CARD and Processor to handle the latest and greatest Steam games. Many of their AAA titles have minimum hardware requirements, so I would look into that first.

Otherwise you're good. If you do the HTPC their is no need for NAS and also, neither NAS, nor NOC, options will do everything you need. Focus on Gaming needs... Once that's done XBMC, or Kodi, will be a breeze.