Discontinued apple tv2

James Bond

Jan 5, 2013
Hi what they meant about this message on my apple tv 2 on main screen(kodi support on apple tv2 to be discontinued)?thanks!

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Why? the cost of atv 2 cost now its going to discontinued.
With each update kodi requires more ram and processing power, unfortunately ATV2 is struggling to keep up with its 256MB of Ram.

Dont worry Kodi will still work, it's just that 14.1 will be that last version, slowly add-ons will stop working.

Apple products do cost alot I'm afraid.
If your happy with it there's no need to upgrade until your favourite add-ons stop working :)

Last edited:

James Bond

Jan 5, 2013
What product would be better to buy for future usage and that it would not end up like the ATV2? Thanks.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
there's lots of new android box's out there now that will more than do the job, ouya,fire tv,mx ect.... apple spec's are just not that great anymore, I used to have 1 and got rid of it.... there's way better box's out there now in my opinion... and there will never be 1 box that you can use forever... always coming out with newer and better box's.

iPaulTv

May 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm a little gutted by this also. Strike, up until now the ATV 2 is for me the 1 box that does everything i want. If netflick can stream 720p movies no problem then my simplistic view is why can't tvaddons do the same. I still use the Go series and these work fine most of the time, until Lambda stops these then i will continue with my ATV2. Genesis just crashes the box due to above RAM limit i suspect.

Guess if the decision has been made to stop support then who are we to argue..Dull day..

Last edited:

picaninnyfreeze

Sep 10, 2012
florida swamps
well i really hate this as i had my ATV2'S for many years and not 1 issue !
hell i am only using 52% RAM . i cant see kodi using up the other 48% now or in the future !
helix 14.1 is running rock solid THANK YOU for that and all your hard work .
now i do have a few ouya's but i really like my ATV2's ..
i guess it is time to try a firetv i guess but thats bout the same as an atv i think , boo hoo i luv my atv .

Last edited:

fduvall

Dec 19, 2013
I am running Apple kit for home and business, with several laptops, iPads, iPhones and ATV1 and ATV2. If I upgrade my ATV1 with a Broadcom 1080p video card, will this be supported? I haven't seen anything about this scenario, just that ATV2 will no longer be supported. Or maybe the MacMini?

Do any of the Android/Chromebox's play particularly well with Apple kit? Or does it not really matter? Chromebox looks pretty slick, but it always seems there are a few things that you can only do when "fully enclosed" in the Apple garden...

Thanks for any advice.

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
You guys who have only done ATV's are really missing out!

It was a decent box and one of the first for it's size and price point, but no one wants to mess with jailbreaks, limited memory, lack of documentation etc etc..

But these days you can get boxes 10x as fast for cheaper than what you originally paid for the ATV, wait until you try it on a Fire TV and see how silky smooth and fast it runs

I've upgraded a number of friends ATV boxes to Kodi 14.1 and it's become very sluggish due to the boxes limitations, very hard to go back to

The Chromebox is a beast of a machine for the price, I would recommend it to help future proof yourself, but nothing is guaranteed

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
You guys who have only done ATV's are really missing out!

It was a decent box and one of the first for it's size and price point, but no one wants to mess with jailbreaks, limited memory, lack of documentation etc etc..

But these days you can get boxes 10x as fast for cheaper than what you originally paid for the ATV, wait until you try it on a Fire TV and see how silky smooth and fast it runs

I've upgraded a number of friends ATV boxes to Kodi 14.1 and it's become very sluggish due to the boxes limitations, very hard to go back to

The Chromebox is a beast of a machine for the price, I would recommend it to help future proof yourself, but nothing is guaranteed
I agree with you 100%.... like I said in my previous post there's way better options these days....

Mad Maru

Jan 5, 2015
My thoughts are I'm gutted to hear of the lack of support for the ATV2 after 14.1, why has there not been a desire to get the ATV3 jailbroken and being used as an option? I want to be able to stream movies from my iPad/iPhone via air play, watch Netflix & use Kodi on my ATV yet now my outlay will eventually go to waste despite having both ATV2 & ATV3 :(

I guess I'll just have to jailbreak my iPad 2 and use kodi on there if air play will allow me to watch it all on my main TV?

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
The ATV3 will never be jailbroken, and with 512 MB of RAM memory (DOUBLE the RAM of the 2nd generation which has 256 MB), it will always lag boxes like the FIRE TV that start at a robust 2 GB of RAM memory.

And you'll find, MM, that with a device that can actually play HD video without crashing or buffering, the need to stream movies from your laptop becomes much less important. And who needs to pay for NETFLIX when you have a reliable streaming device? Why?

And for those who cannot live without Apple Airplay and enjoy playing their iPhone movies via their Apple TV, why not just buy an Apple 3 -- which now start brand new at $69?

So for $169, a user can have both a brand new FIRE TV AND a brand new Apple TV 3 for mirroring.

You couldn't even get a used Apple TV 2 for that price.

Keeping a device alive when its best feature is its ability to mirror makes little sense.

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
Doesn't XBMC/Kodi have airplay built in? Shouldn't need an apple device to use airplay from what I've seen - friends with iphone's sending content to raspberry pi's running openelec

Delwashy

Apr 5, 2014
Bolton(England)
I like to say thanks to the team and developers who have helped me to maintain my ATV 1+ 2 going for all these years. My ATV 1 runs rings round my ATV 2 they have severed me well and will do for many more years as long as i maintain them. With technology moving at a fast pace who knows what's round the corner i have started downloading as streaming will be a thing of the past.Only in the last 12 months the problems we've all had with ISP blocking sites etc. anyway thank you to all who have helped and educated me about xbmc and my ATV's much appreciated.:D

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Doesn't XBMC/Kodi have airplay built in? Shouldn't need an apple device to use airplay from what I've seen - friends with iphone's sending content to raspberry pi's running openelec
Unfortunately, no device can do an iOS to Android mirror that matches the seamless high quality of the Apple TV.

resucami

Mar 12, 2015
I do not need AirPlay but I need the possibility to stream movies (mp4's) full screen and in720p (and best would be with subtitles) from my Mac to my TV. I also want to have access to HBO and Showtime, and I - of course - also want to have Kodi.

What would be the best alternative to an Apple TV to do that? - Roku? Chromecast? Fire TV?

Last edited: