• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleazar Coding

Retired Moderator
Oct 10, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
I'm curious to hear about how many of our users are actually using an Android TV device at the current time since it seems that these type of devices will be the future of Kodi. Please respond to the poll and reply to the thread to let us know what kind of Android TV device you are using. Please don't advertise here, just name your device and tell us about it honestly. Hopefully this will help us better cater to our users and their needs.

Last edited:

damac10

Apr 11, 2014
Hi...I am using a few Android devices for XBMC. They have replaced my Laptop which I only use for testing new addons and configurations before transferring to my Android Boxes. They are small and turn any LCD/LED/Plasma screen into a Smart Tv for a fraction of the cost. They can also do far more than your average expensive Smart Tv . Media players ,Email , Web Browsing , Gaming..Android Devices might spell the demise of lower end Pcs as they grow in power.

I am using Amlogic based M3 old Android Box ( If it works on here it will work on my newer boxes) Dual Core Rockchip Box (Which works perfecting with SPMC fork of XBMC) and Im waiting for my new S802 amlogic box to arrive . The next box I will be getting is The Rk3288 Rockchip Box with Mali T764 Gpu. All newer devices are getting faster and faster load times and better GPUs for brilliant video playback.Some even support Dolby/DTS sound support. New Boxes are running Kit Kat Os so perfect for someone using new Android Tablet /Phone for interaction and syncing of apps.
Lastly they have emulators for classic gaming from Nintendo/Sony platforms and Android specific games are getting better due to more horsepower in new devices. First Box has Antutu score of about 8000-9000. New Boxes hitting 32000 - 40000. Thats just awesome for a compact media solution thats highly portable.

Last edited:

damac10

Apr 11, 2014
Forgot to mention. This small , simple yet powerful form factor is what was needed to take XBMC/KODI mainstream. Android Box using just Genesis/FTV/FTV Guide will cover most peoples needs. Compare that to the cost of cable/satellite subs for a year.

rw86

Aug 19, 2013
Nope, and I've not really any intention of getting an android box for a while. I'm still quite content with using my Raspberry Pi, at least for now. I may upgrade in a year or so to an android box, though, depends on if my Pi is still the apple of my eye or not.

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
Only on a tablet so far although I plan to purchase my daughter a device from a well know internet book (+practically anything else these days) seller when it becomes available next month and intend to load it on there before she 'fire's" it up

SMPC on the tablet's - works better on my wives archos and I cant load anything else on my nook. But I have no complaints, hence why I am now tempted for the 1st time to buy a tv box, the fire's arrival in the UK just seemed like the right time.

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
Sorry, SPMC 😃.

I also see elsewhere that Phillips have an android 2.2 tv hitting the market (sorry, I know you said no brands but this is an actual tv, not a box) so a complete kodiTV maybe possible soon, even if just the SPMC way.2

jonc

Developer
Jun 16, 2013
Bangkok
On android I use several tablets (7"&10"), Mx2 (versions 1,2,3) and my favourite is the M8 boxes.

The two android tablets are used in the car and about the house (both have 3g and wifi) and really good in the car (better than the iPad, but my youngest would ague against that)

The MX boxes are in the kids bed rooms which replaced some older linux dell boxes (and satellite boxes), as they take up less real estate and easy for them to use and with the web remote we can turn off their xbmc if it is too late and a school night from our floor.

The M8 is used in the lounge as our main source of TV, movies etc, and also in the master bedroom. As well as in the 1st floor reception area where the kids use it mostly on Genesis for movies and Live TV PRV for MTV .

With also several other non android boxes here running tvtumbler etc on frodo my pick is the android quad core UHD M8 as it just does it all and with the CCM skin it is easy to modify for each location, and with the simple IPTV PVR with epg installed, it makes them a dream box.

enen92

Dec 13, 2012
Portugal
A friend from our Portuguese forum has donated me (well more a lend than a donation) an android box for the development of p2p-streams. It was pretty much a pain in the ass every time I needed to do or test anything android related without proper hardware for it.
I'm actually suprised by the performance of the box. I had the idea that xbmc playback in android without an AMlogic processor would not behave so well but...it actually does.
Navigation is fluid and quick, site scapping is much faster than the pi, 1080p video files play without any issue, it's running the latest version of android, it can use any other regular android app, I can use heavy skins (something I can't do on the pi), etc.

There are some limitations with audio (as I don't have a receiver i don't mind), there aren't any pvr backends for android and sometimes xbmc is still a bit buggy. For what I've seen in my friend's shop he sells this box for 86euros (without xbmc/any other app installed) which means that retailer/quantity price is below this value.
Comparing to the price of the raspberry pi for example (+acessories) it really isn't much more expensive.

For anyone interested it is a cs968 RK3188T and got an antutu score of 21711. A few videos of the box with xbmc/games/apps:

* video Antutu 5 @ 1280x720 - https://db(dot)tt/t5dRbFXa
* video XBMC 13.1 - https://db(dot)tt/fZyRiHeO
* video Asphalt 8 - https://db(dot)tt/Wp7uCsi9
* video Geekbench 3 - http://browser.primatelabs(dot)com/geekbench3/759390
* video Riptide GP2 - https://db(dot)tt/PMCEVbkt

When I've some time I'll write a proper review. So, for a while...I've an android box :)

Last edited:

damac10

Apr 11, 2014
A friend from our Portuguese forum has donated me (well more a lend than a donation) an android box for the development of p2p-streams. It was pretty much a pain in the ass every time I needed to do or test anything android related without proper hardware for it.
I'm actually suprised by the performance of the box. I had the idea that xbmc playback in android without an AMlogic processor would not behave so well but...it actually does.
Navigation is fluid and quick, site scapping is much faster than the pi, 1080p video files play without any issue, it's running the latest version of android, it can use any other regular android app, I can use heavy skins (something I can't do on the pi), etc.

There are some limitations with audio (as I don't have a receiver i don't mind), there aren't any pvr backends for android and sometimes xbmc is still a bit buggy. For what I've seen in my friend's shop he sells this box for 86euros (without xbmc/any other app installed) which means that retailer/quantity price is below this value.
Comparing to the price of the raspberry pi for example (+acessories) it really isn't much more expensive.

For anyone interested it is a cs968 RK3188T and got an antutu score of 21711. A few videos of the box with xbmc/games/apps:

* video Antutu 5 @ 1280x720 - https://db(dot)tt/t5dRbFXa
* video XBMC 13.1 - https://db(dot)tt/fZyRiHeO
* video Asphalt 8 - https://db(dot)tt/Wp7uCsi9
* video Geekbench 3 - http://browser.primatelabs(dot)com/geekbench3/759390
* video Riptide GP2 - https://db(dot)tt/PMCEVbkt

When I've some time I'll write a proper review. So, for a while...I've an android box :)
Have you tried SPMC fork of XBMC with that Rockchip Android Box...It might surprise you...So glad you have a Android Box..Can only mean good things for P2P on Android!! Thanks for the hard work...:D

Last edited:

theo point-o

May 14, 2014
i gots me an OUYA and a Probox2 EX and they both work great!

XBMC or Kodi is the best thing thats happened to tv since tv's went from black and white to color

Red67

Aug 19, 2013
Liverpool, UK
Not got a box yet but looking to get one maybe 2 at christmas, if not then it will be April when I change my internet provider.

I have it on 3 tablets (mine, my odlest lads, Work) 5 laptops 9 (2 mine, my daughters, and both my sons) I also have a PC hooked upto the TV in the bedroom with it loadded on to. Oh and my phone ;)

janeyt65

Sep 15, 2014
Somewhere in Spain
I have an Android box attached to my old TV and it works great, however I need some help because of late I have lost the ability to watch anything on 1Ch**nel (Pri**wire) and for the last week I have not been able to watch anything on FilmOn, Expat TV, FilmOn Family and Not FilmOn.

Has there been a problem? And if so how do I fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Jane

chaimps

Dec 20, 2013
I'd been running a Raspberry Pi, on the bedroom TV for around 18 months and although the Pi performs well and plays whatever I want it to, I never felt navigating on it was speedy enough (and couldn't it expect it to be) for duty on the main TV in the house where I continued to hook up a laptop for XBMC viewing.

I had been keeping an eye on 'TV boxes' for a while but it wasn't until I recently took the Android route with a Minix Neo X8-H, for hooking up to the main TV and after a few weeks usage I am more than happy with it's responsiveness and capabilities.

So I'm convinced that 'Android TV' style boxes are likely to be the future of XBMC/Kodi - at least in my household :)

jose8223

Aug 30, 2014
Don't know if it should be called android box but it is android based. I am using a fire tv and also have xbmc on my laptop for testing of new add on's

weblinks

Banned
Jun 11, 2014
Hi, I was just reading some Finnish review about that TV and one guy mentioned he was able to install Apps from outside Google Play there.. He just only mentioned that use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) over Wifi and adb connect, adb install.. I know how to do that, but my TV has USB debugging and "allow installation of non-market apps" disabled by default and those can't be enabled... So have anyone succeeded that and

etch

Jan 22, 2014
Pontypridd, South Wales
I have an Ouya in my Sitting room (mainly for the kids) and a Matricom Gbox MX2 in my lounge and both are great and give me very little problems. I would recommend any of these to anyone, however i have not tried others to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.