Does a Custom Build require complicated programming skills?

elb888

Dec 6, 2015
Starting to get into this and I've been seeing many youtube reviews on custom builds such as the Beast, ***** TV, of course TVMC, and many others. So my question is this.. Are people just taking the time to install the addon resources, back-ground images, making menus, changing the fonts they like, rummaging through the addons to find content they like so they can create short-cut nodes, etc. If it's simply about effort and time, then I'd like to build one from scratch complete to my liking.

Or, is it more complicated than this? For example, in any build, there are menu options, sub-menu options, widgets, etc. What I'm asking is do I have to create or program these options? Or, are they simply taking an existing skin in the Kodi community such as confluence, aeon mq6, re-touched, aeon nox, amber, etc. Are they simply taking these existing skins with all the options and user interface already programmed? And all they do is set it up to their liking?

The more I play with custom builds, the more I think that they are just taking existing skins and customizing it. I thought the meaning of CUSTOM BUILD was everything from scratch. The skin itself, the menu options, the settings, I thought they created everything.

Please let me know if my understanding of custom builds is correct. Thank you for your time.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
You pretty much have the basic idea with them just taking whats readily available (skins and addons) and putting them together in a "build".
Although some use outdated addons and turn off auto updates and other changes in the settings that can cause issues for the user.
Some also add nefarious code or addons that could cause harm to the user (personal information) Then charge money for doing this.
A good rule of thumb is the more "customized" it is the more suspicious you should be. This is because the more "work" they put into it, the more entitled they feel that they should get something back from the user. If they charge for it then you should also stay away from it.
You could also give this a read http://forums.tvaddons.co/getting-started-with-kodi/21784-what-is-the.html

Last edited:

elb888

Dec 6, 2015
BTW, the reason I'm asking for a confirmation of my understanding is because I don't want to start a project and realize mid-way through there are some options missing that a custom build has. What I plan to do is if I like a certain build, I plan to find out what skin they used, then I will customize it myself.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Yeah if thats all your doing then yes, basically all the "builds" entail are a skin and addons. The differant menus and settings come from those.
In all honesty though I can only recommend addons from here as I know they are safe.

Last edited:

elb888

Dec 6, 2015
Yeah if thats all your doing then yes, basically all the "builds" entail are a skin and addons. The differant menus and settings come from those.
In all honesty though I can only recommend addons from here as I know they are safe.
Thanks CRZEN! And thanks for the heads up on what **** means. That's good to know and I won't be messing with those builds. So who makes the skins that people are using to make their builds? The official kodi people?

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Well I dont think its the actual kodi team themselves. but most skins (well many) are available from the kodi repo and are supported on the kodi.tv forum
Just dont mention any addons that arent from the kodi repo when over there

Last edited: