does firetv stick as good as firetv itself ?

JAPGEISHA

Aug 8, 2012
wanna try the firetv stick .
some people say it gets hot
some say you can not turn it off.
does it have a great reception using wifi ?
does the performance as good as firetv ?

thx

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
you only get what you pay for.fire stick is fine but its slower than the fire tv.neither switch off,you can put both to sleep

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I've got both and the stick is slightly slower. That said, I use it in hotels so I'm happy to trade speed for convenience of size. Both are among the best devices I've used for Kodi though

jcolemn

Dec 2, 2014
I've got both and the stick is slightly slower. That said, I use it in hotels so I'm happy to trade speed for convenience of size. Both are among the best devices I've used for Kodi though
Can you use it at hotels whose internet takes you to a website to enter log-in info?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Some people will say its slightly slower. From my point of view its very noticeably slower but also take into account--aftv is very fast. I'd also consider how inexpensive it is and its a VERY capable kodi device plus they don't make them much more portable.
Another noteworthy point is how it seems to be much more consistent with the screen cast option. I have 2 aftvs and 1 stick. The stick is the one that always shows up. I have other ways of making it work but that involves other apps.

edge

Aug 9, 2013
Have got both, prefer the box because of the usb , but to be honest not a great deal in it, just for kodi it would depend on my pocket at the time, both do a decent job and not really a great deal of difference performance wise nothing to worry about, would happly have either

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Can you use it at hotels whose internet takes you to a website to enter log-in info?
Yep. A software update a few weeks back added a captive portal app that launches automatically when you are on a network that requires web sign in. 've tried it on several networks and it worked every time

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
My advice is if you have the extra $50 or $60, go for the FIRE TV. You WILL be happier.

Why not have the best?

The FIRE TV offers twice the RAM Memory of the Stick, and it offers both Ethernet and USB access. Those features give it tremendous versatility, and accessibility not available with the FTV Stick.

As a wireless only device, a FIRE TV Stick's connectivity is only as good as the strength and proximity to the WIFI router. And even then, the connection will never be as solid and reliable as one that is hard-wired.

With all that said, the Fire TV Stick is a TREMENDOUS device at the price. And at $39, it is DEFINITELY superior to the Apple TV in terms of its ability to play and handle video of all qualities.

Last edited:

Singidunum

Mar 15, 2014
Queens, New York
Amazon Stick is a great device for $40
I have two of them and they work fine.
It slower than box itself, buffering now and there, but for playing kids shows and kids movies is perfect.
It well worth it.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
My advice is if you have the extra $50 or $60, go for the FIRE TV. You WILL be happier.

Why not have the best?

The FIRE TV offers twice the RAM Memory of the Stick, and it offers both Ethernet and USB access. Those features give it tremendous versatility, and accessibility not available with the FTV Stick.

As a wireless only device, a FIRE TV Stick's connectivity is only as good as the strength and proximity to the WIFI router. And even then, the connection will never be as solid and reliable as one that is hard-wired.

With all that said, the Fire TV Stick is a TREMENDOUS device at the price. And at $39, it is DEFINITELY superior to the Apple TV in terms of its ability to play and handle video of all qualities.
The stick fits in my overnight bag much better though ;)