Does kodi support 4k resolution?

t_jay17

Apr 22, 2015
What would be the best device to use kodi at 4k? I currently have a Fire TV 1st gen.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
'Best' is a loaded question... No doubt one of the best is the NVIDIA Shield and many love it, but it comes with a higher price...

If you just want to watch 4K video there are other alternatives that can be hand that will display 4K video just fine...

What you need to mostly pay attention to, is the processor and chip set the box uses and the amount of RAM and ROM it has... When it comes to the imported Asian boxes do your best to ignore the 'name' they slap all different kinds of names on the same boxes, some companies slap so called 'better' names on cheap boxes as well... You really need to pay attention to the specs not the name...

I have a Minix Neo U1 that does 4K fine and I also have a lower cost Asian imported 'MXQ Pro' that does 4K just fine as well, again don't just go by the name not all 'MXQ PRo' boxes are created the same or even look the same, look at the hardware and OS specs...

That said if you are in North America, Walmart is now carrying the Mi-Box and it can play 4K video as well and is a fully licensed copy of Android TV so you get full HD with legit services like Netflix... Plus you get Walmart's great and easy return policy if you don't like it... BUT, it does come with a negative in that it's not 'cutting edge' hardware, you can get newer hardware for the same price in many Asian models, but the Asian models almost never have licensed versions of Android, but if you are not using legit streaming services this is of little concern...

t_jay17

Apr 22, 2015
I was looking for one that I could use my netflix, Hulu , Amazon video and PSvue on. As well as the ability to instal Kodi on it .

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I was looking for one that I could use my netflix, Hulu , Amazon video and PSvue on. As well as the ability to instal Kodi on it .
There are very, very, very few Asian import boxes that have properly licensed versions of Android that will allow legitimate streaming services like Netflix to stream in 4K, most Asian boxes (or more correctly the legit apps) will limit those legit streaming services to SD, even though the box itself can support 4K when using Kodi...

So your choices just became more limited if you want official Netflix 4K functionality... What is available will depend on your location, and your OS of choice...

If you want Android, in the US as I said the $70 Mi-Box at Walmart will support legit HD streaming sources but it doesn't have top of the line hardware inside so it might be slow sometimes launching or switching between menus... I plan to pick one up shortly and give it a test run as my kids are begging for an Android box for their TV and they use Netflix heavily, so it only makes sense to get them one that will stream HD Netflix... The $200 NVIDIA Shield will also support legit HD streaming and is top of the line hardware, even plays the best of the best 3D Android games if that is your thing...

There are other properly licensed Android TV boxes (and even some TVs) out there that will play legit 4K content, but Google is slow to license them (and it probably is beyond a hassle) so the choices are very limited, even more limited with ones that support 4K... I think the only TV boxes in the US that are properly licenses, are the ones I listed above the Mi-Box and the NVIDIA Shield but I could be mistaken... There also might be some different devices available outside the US, I can't say...

Another option is to build a Windows Media server and/or get a Windows based TV box, there are some nice small form factor ones out there the will do the job in about the $200 range... I have a full fledged Windows media server, I don't use it as much as I used to before the Android boxes became popular but it's nice to have a brute force machine with huge hard drives for storage when needed, especially if you set it up as a network streaming device that the entire house can access...

And last but not least you could also explore a *nix computer, but 4K is really hit and miss right now for most *nix OS distributions, if you go that route Apple OS X might be the best option...

Someone else might have some ideas beyond that...