Does kodi support Peer-2-Peer (P2P)?

Habibie

Sep 1, 2016
If this post does not belong here, please kindly move it to the correct forum.

Does anyone here know if Kodi uses a peer-to-peer (P2P) protocol to provide video streams?

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Kodi in itself is just a media player like VLC, so it doesn't actually provide any content. However, in answer to your question there are some P2P addons out there, I think somehow there's even one or two in the official Kodi repo. Most of the addons you see here use either file-hosters or rtmp streams, but P2P addons do exist.

Habibie

Sep 1, 2016
So, if none of the P2P addons on my kodi is enabled, then is it safe to say my kodi does not do a P2P? The reason I ask this stupid question is I just wanted to be sure my kodi does not perform a P2P.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
It's a valid question & I understand your concerns. Unfortunately I don't know what you have on your box so can't comment on that. If you bought a fully-loaded box or ran any sort of build then there's a possibility that you could be running some P2P addons, this is another reason we generally recommend people start from scratch & read up a bit on what they are using. Most probably you're not, but I couldn't say for sure :)

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
Pulsar, Quasar and AceStreams are the ones that immediately jump to mind as P2P. And each of them lists an upstream speed as well as a downstream. I don't think any addons will do P2P without showing an upstream, so you will know if you're using one.

Habibie

Sep 1, 2016
My MXQ Pro Android TV Box is not configured with neither Pulsar, Quasar, nor AceStreams. I will have to check other P2P settings. BTW, how do I check the listing of an upstream speed to notice about the P2P settings?