Does XBMC work PROPERLY on Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1??????

G2G2G2

Aug 26, 2014
Will XBMC work (properly) on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 tablet??????

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, but I'm not sure whether or not XBMC will work (properly) on this tablet.

The tablet runs on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8926) SoC, using a ARM Cortex A-7 CPU with 4 cores.
The GPU is a Qualcomme Adreno 305 with 1 core and a RAM capacity of 1,5 gb.

Since I'm not technical at all, I've got a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer:

1.) This SoC is ARM, but is the ARM "Neon"?
2.) Is Snapdragon 400 enough to run XBMC?
3.) Can XBMC run on a device with the specs above?
4.) Will it also run SMOOTHLY?
5.) Will the video add-ons "1 channel" and "Ic*f*lms" work on this device?
6.) Would you recommend this budget tablet as a tablet with the main purpose of streaming content?

Thanks in advance,

G2G2G2

Last edited:

noz

Feb 1, 2014
Asgard
Welcome to the forum.
Not really an answer to your question but xbmc runs perfect on a samsung galaxy s4 and as far as i believe an s3. Don't know full specs of these but i am sure someone with a definite answer will drop in a reply.

G2G2G2

Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for the quick respons, Noz.

Good to hear that it runs smooth on a Galaxy S4 (and S3) mobile phone, because according to its specs the Galaxy S4 has a 1,9 Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (APQ8064T) CPU with 4 cores and a Qualcomme Adreno 320 GPU --->
So phone and the tablet do use the same brand: Qualcomm. But it looks like the mobile phones' CPU and GPU are more powerfull, newer versions.

Same goes for the Samsung Galaxy S3. This one has a 1,4 GHz (Samsung) Exynos 4 or 4412 CPU with 4 cores. This Soc is an ARM Cortex-A9--> The tablet I wanna buy is only a ARM Cortex A-7.
There are also Galaxy S3 phones that do use a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (MSM8960), but again this is a newer, (be it slightly) better processor than that of the Galaxy Tab 4: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400

I do know that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 tablet does not support the standard XBMC version, because even though the SoC is ARM, it is not NEON (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182340&page=2). There are however ways around this, by using older/modified versions of XBMC. That's why I also asked if the Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 is NEON (not even sure what that means).

As you had probably already found out, I am a complete tech novice and my ramblings above are just based on searching the internet. All in an attempt to find confirmation, so I do not buy a tablet to find out afterwards I can't use XBMC on it. So if my claims make absolutely no sense, feel free to say so. I just compared numbers and claims found on other sites. Unfortunately the latter only cover the Tab 3 and never the Tab 4.
Because I do love using XBMC, ever since I've got it up and running on my mobile, I hope someone who does have technical knowledge or someone who actually uses a Galaxy Tab 4 and has XMBC up and running, can help me.

Thanks again.

Last edited: