Downloading media to an SD card on android 7.1.1

Dgl0497

Jan 31, 2018
Hi all,
I use a common third party addon to download MP4 files onto a android box running 7.1.1 and KODI 17.6.
The issue i am having is that i cant get the addon to save the files directly to an SD card.
It will download to the internal memory fine and i can then transfer the file manually to the SD card but this feels like an unnecessary extra step.
This seems similar to a problem BASSACKWARDS posted about, regarding saving onto a external hard drive, but there were no replies in that thread.
I have done some digging on unofficial KODI forums and a few people seem to think that there is some kind of restrictions to downloads when using an android OS.
Is this true?
If so would using another OS fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I never tested this myself but I read on Reddit that it is possible. Here is a quote from Spizrific

Spizrific 7 points 10 months ago
Figured it out of anyone still checks this. If you are trying to download to an external sd card. Go into tools and download. Enable and then set your locations for your folders. The whole path will be /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files.

Now I added in two folders to that location (in es explorer titled "movies" and "tv shows"). So now the full path is /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/(whatever your new folder names are. Mine are "Movies" and "TV Shows").

Because of the android os you have to give permission(which I haven't found out how to do for kodi) to write anywhere on the external sdcard unless you go to android/data/org.xbml.kodi/files, this does have read write permissions. Hope this helps! Tested and working on my unrooted firetv. Let me know if you have questions!
Let us know if it works for you.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Another method is to root your device.
Magisk is a very easy method for root.
Once rooted and rebooted you just need to install the read/write access module (I can't remember the name off hand but you'll know it when you see it).

For me this is a better method as it opens up the SD card for all your apps. But I didn't know this way of doing it - nice to know 😁

By design later versions of android do not grand write permissions to most apps.

Dgl0497

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for the replies,
I tried the method RavRob mentioned and it seems to of worked :)
Finally the days of copying and pasting things to my SD card are over haha

Thanks for the help everyone.