Error msg after downloading Kodi

simplysue

Aug 1, 2016
I have Uninstalled and reinstalled Kodi as I was having the issue w/no streams available and any suggestions I had received or found on Youtube, didn't fix it. I am trying to upgrade to Krypton.

After installing Kodi I get the black screen that has Unable to fix "unable to create gui exiting. I have tried several of the fixes from you tube and none of it works. I am running windows 8 on my Laptop. I had this problem some time ago and ended up
going back to an earlier version of Kodi. I am far from computer literate. If you have an answer for me, please break it down into small steps. I really enjoy Kodi. I hope one of you geniuses out here can help me. :confused:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
YouTube is full of unqualified people trying to instruct others how to do all this add on stuff.

My god please stop with YouTube tutorials, you will get corruption in your kodi system files and the results will be locked up add-ons that don't work.

Very simple

Remove all or any kodi files you have now

Reinstall kodi fresh and clean from kodi.tv/download

Now look at the very top of this forum page you see Install? Then Configure?

Install fusion, install the add on installer then install each or any add-ons you wish then go through kodi settings to your lliking, done. Enjoy!

Do not install version 17 kodi yet it's not the official stable version, stick with 16.1 the latest stable Version they offer.

It's simple and easy, but looking for YouTube tutorials is plain bad news, nothing but trouble will become of it.

Someone here or I will help you if you get stuck, I work with kodi files and android boxes every day like brushing ones teeth.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
If you don't really know what you are doing, stick to the Stable version which is currently Jarvis (16.1). Krypton is a broken test version which shouldn't be used by novices as you will most likely run into problems.

simplysue

Aug 1, 2016
I have not gotten that far in any case. I have downloaded Kodi16.1 and from there is where I am having the problem. I am going to uninstall again and will come back to this site and get directions. Thank you for your help.

simplysue

Aug 1, 2016
thank you to The Lion for your help. My son introduced me to Kodi and I cancelled my cable so fast!! I have had several versions of it but none have worked completely correctly. I am going to uninstall everything again and will come back here to install as you suggest.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
The system here works great believe me, I use it daily. You'll be happy in the end.

Now consider using es file explorer to locate the kodi files if you want to be certain that the file is completely deleted. Activate "locate hidden files" in settings/ display settings activate "show the select button" also.

I say this because sometimes people think they delete kodi only to come back with all the bad addons installed again once they re install it.

simplysue

Aug 1, 2016
To the Lion, I uninstalled Kodi, reinstalled from top of page here. That again is as far as I can go. When I click on the Kodi program, it will not
come up on my screen. The screen goes black, a white box appears and says "unable to create GUI Exiting". I cannot click "ok" on it or x out on the upper right corner (red x) I have to do ALT/F4 to get back to my desk top. Any other suggestions or directions would be most appreciated. I do not know what GUI Exiting is or what to do about it.

simplysue

Aug 1, 2016
The Lion, I uninstalled, checked for hidden files (none) and reinstalled again. When I click on Kodi the white box msg still pops up..

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I'm guilty, I was assuming you were using an android.
OK so you have a windows 8 computer I see.

Kodi wiki lists the file path for the kodi files in windows, forget about es file eplorer that only applies to androids.

I would go in to that kodi file at aND Uninstall completely, also Uninstall via control panel/ programs.

Then attempt reinstallation.

Sorry I never encountered the pop up message you are seeing. Every time I've installed kodi on a windows computer it installs easily and successfully. I was guilty of assuming you had a preloaded android, my bad. Very early in morning when I post, my eyes don't work that we'll that early.

Consider buying a specialized computer for your kodi use dedicated to your TV especially if your video card is outdated and assuming you can't get it to work.
I've seen 35 dollar androids that kick butt (s905x).

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Maybe guisettings.xml got corrupt or something. Deleting this folder on your PC might fix the issue--> C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata