External access

Smiley10070

Jan 31, 2017
Hello everyone.
So, ive had my box for about a month now, and loving it. able to watch what i want, when i want and even use Ex**us to download to my android box.

My question is this. How do I get the files off of my android box, since i am unable to ftp into it, which i dont understand why this feature doesnt exist. I would like to get the files off so i dont run out of room, and can continue to download.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
I use ES File explorer to delete or move files to other devices or usb drives or what not its pretty simple. You can find it in the Playstore.

Tikipeter

Apr 22, 2014
Kodi itself has a perfectly functional file manager where you can add any network sources, local sources etc and manage files within/between them. That is probably the easiest way to move files about, without leaving Kodi.
Code:
http://kodi.wiki/view/File_manager

Smiley10070

Jan 31, 2017
I have tried the kodi file manager to move them to an external drive, but get an error each time

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
And you have switched on the 'Allow file renaming and deletion' option in Kodi's Settings?

What is the actual Error message you are getting?

Smiley10070

Jan 31, 2017
as far as i know i have.

the error says : "failed to move at least one file. check the log for more information about this message. operation was aborted."

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales

Smiley10070

Jan 31, 2017
ok, had a boo under file lists "allow file renaming and deletion" is selected. i'm going to put the hard drive back on my laptop and see if there's something there not letting me do it. i even tried creating a folder on it, and it wouldn't let me do that either.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
When you put the external HDD on the laptop it should work as normal, Since you can't create a Folder when it's connected to the box then that pretty much suggests it's the Android OS itself that's not granting you Write Permissions for external drives.

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I think unfortunately Stoofer may be right.

I have just ordered a cheap mini m8sii s905x Android box to play around with. I choose this box on purpose as I wanted to learn a bit about Android and after researching I can see the crappy botched up Android OS on this particular box doesn't allow RW access to EXT Hdd.

So when I get mine I will have to spend some time changing permissions. And I'll probably use or create my own custom Rom.

Anyway if your laptop is connected to your home network you should be able to add sharing permission to a folder on that laptop or a connected HDD the add that as a samba/smb source on the kodi file manager.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Fortunately the manual edit to fix this is pretty simple, which I found after a lot of searching online so can't take credit for. The drawback is that you need root access to make the changes - manual or via an app - which isn't a problem if you're comfortable with Android or rooting but adds an extra level of difficulty if you're not. I prefer to use the manual edit rather than an app having done it now on two boxes so if anyone wants the details I'll post them up here with proper accreditation.

Smiley10070

Jan 31, 2017
Ok, so update. I got bored, and opened the root browser app. made my way to the location of the saved files, selected and hit move..... Went back up the folder tree to the external drive and made my way to where i wanted to save them. and hit *Paste*

And guess what.

It moved the file... seems like a lot of work, but im now waiting as the rest of the files move over to the external drive, guess this is how im gonna have to do it.