External Media Player for Windows HTPC Setup

bigjutt

Dec 29, 2012
Hi Folks

I was wondering if there is an external media player we should be installing for a Windows XMBC setup. On my Jynx Android I installed MX Player, Tplayer, and Wondershare. This vastly improved the HD movies on my Android box. Is there a similar external player(s) for Windows?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Nope.You dont need an external player on windows.The reason you needed them for android is because android didnt support hw decoding.Windows does :)

If you stick linux on your jynxbox instead of android,you wont need external players on there either and it will play everything just like your pc would ;)

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
if you want to play bluray discs then you will need something like powerdvd (if you want full menus) setup as an external for these at least. but mostly just go at it as is, no tinkering necessary.

it may be worth checking it out over all as it may well do a better job of upscaling your SD material.
that being said if BD isnt a concern you can setup ffdshow to do a good job of upscaling, for free, with mpc-hc set up as an external player and with a bit of tinkering XBMC doesnt do a bad upscale natively anyways...

bigjutt

Dec 29, 2012
Thanks guys, not that I'm having any issues with the movies just looking to continue tweaking the system for optimal peformance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Kodi Support 14
S Random Topics 13
M Android Boxes 1