Fanart on 3 devices

Clarkie41

Jun 7, 2013
Don't know if this is the correct section.

I am running 3 xbmc openelec boxes,2 raspberry Pi and a HTPC all connected to my network and using the same NAS for media.Is it possible to sort the fanart on 1 and the others to pick it up or do I have to do all 3 seperate?

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
You have a few options, but basically yes.

1. Scan on the pc outside xbmc - this gives you more control of what's in the library - you can choose the artwork, edit info - but takes longer initially. Once it's done scanning in xbmc will give the same result on any machine.
I use Media Companion, but there are a few options.

2. Scan your library on 1 machine, share this via upnp.
Pros: you only have to update one machine each time you add content / all your machines have the same library.
Cons: No watched status except on the host / harder to make a skin look pretty / host needs to be on all the time (no problem if you're using a pi).

3. Set up mysql on one machine (your nas if it will run it). This gives you a centralized library, watched status / resume times are the same on all machines that use the database.

4. Scan your library on the pc and copy it to the pi's.
4a. Scan on pc, use the 'export library' function, go to pi and use 'import library'. I tried this and gave up after about 4 hours!
4b. Scan on pc, copy the MyVideos75.db file and thumbnails folder from your pc to each pi. Works a treat as long as your sources are the same. It's what I used to do before I found:
4c. Scan on pc, use xbmc backup addon - select 'database' and 'Thumbnails / Fanart' - and make a backup. Stick the backup the addon makes on each pi and use xbmcbackup's restore function to copy your library to each pi.

I use 1 and 4c. XBMCbackup is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129499&highlight=backup

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
From a Pi don't have a pc.
HTPC???
Anyway it's not working as it should. UPNP should share all your artwork, otherwise it's a bit pointless. I've no idea why - maybe if you upload a log (from each pi) someone will be able to see what's happening.
Or give XBMCbackup a try.

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
Something's not right - maybe a firewall issue? Without a log nobody's going to figure it out, but it's definitely not supposed to work like that (just a list).

At this point I'd be trying XBMCbackup.