Fastest way to load addons

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
I am gonna be setting up a few rasp pis with Gotham and wanted to test different settings and skins but the only ways I know to add my apps are to restore from a backup is there a faster way to load them on like ssh via a computer?

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
I am gonna be setting up a few rasp pis with Gotham and wanted to test different settings and skins but the only ways I know to add my apps are to restore from a backup is there a faster way to load them on like ssh via a computer?
use xbmc backup, ssh into the pi , copy the backup to pc, then use on other pi's you set up by transferring the back up over to the new pi

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
If you look inside the xbmc folder you will find one called "user data", just copy that.
That's how I used to keep everything when i upgraded my old xbox.
If memory serves I think the only thing you loose is screen config (if you made corrections for over scan).

DankNasty

May 16, 2012
If you look inside the xbmc folder you will find one called "user data", just copy that.
That's how I used to keep everything when i upgraded my old xbox.
If memory serves I think the only thing you loose is screen config (if you made corrections for over scan).
Ok I see that folder it just seems like there isn't enough in there to hold all that information. Could it be in a .xbmc folder or a hidden one?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
.xbmc folder holds all your information it's where all the add-ons repos are stored. this is the folder the openelec backup tool backs up

Userdata folder which is inside the .xbmc folder holds all your personal settings:
Keymaps, advanced settings/ it also has a addons folder inside but in here it only stores personal settings for each add-on like passwords and add-on settings.

If you want to backup your system copy the .xbmc folder in its entirety
But.......
If your giving your backup to someone else you may want to delete, some or all of the content of the userdata/addon folder as you don't want to give your ustvnow account or furk passwords away.
Also....
This isn't always applicable and doesn't get backed up by the openelec backup tool however, If you have updated you librtmp using tuxens method, or you have any other autostart script running you will also need to backup the "/storage/.config" folder and the "/storage/lib" folder which will only be there if you updated your librtmp.

I must say though I think your find it takes longer this way, but try it for yourself.

Last edited:

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Fair point about the addons mate.
Its been that long since I done a manual backup/restore. These days I either use the backup addon or just go for clean - not that I need to do it too often :)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Same here, only reason I found out is I've been messing around with this lately, testing out helix builds, and different distros.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Raspberry Pi 5
S Android Boxes 13
L Android Boxes 35