Fire Stick $19 with prime membership until wednesday

dknlght

Developer
Jul 21, 2012
So it looks like amazon is releasing a chromecast competitor and they're taking pre-orders giving prime members a $20 discount. Regular price is $39.

From the sample images it's look like a lite version of the Fire TV so people are hoping xbmc can be installed. already order two unfortunately won't get it until mid December. if xbmc can be install I thinks it's going to be one of the best xbmc devices for the price. especially at $19

here's a comparison

Last edited:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I won't be ordering it. I have found my promised land and decided a few months ago to STOP getting every new Android option. OUYA w/ HARMONY and the Bluetooth Hub is all I need. ;$

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
I won't be ordering it. I have found my promised land and decided a few months ago to STOP getting every new Android option. OUYA w/ HARMONY and the Bluetooth Hub is all I need. ;$
Are you back to the ouya Showgun?

My only concern with the Fire TV stick would be streaming wireless, as I'm a big fan of having everything hard wired.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Yes...I went back to the OUYA once u picked up a LIGGTPACK for my entertainment center. Then amazon began playing like APPLE trying to block root and customized functions. OUYA is built to be open, powerful, and stable. It quickly became my go to once again. My advice now, and forever, once you find a stable and enjoyable xbmc experience...stick with it and stop looking to upgrade. ;)

adioukrou

May 12, 2012
Yes...I went back to the OUYA once u picked up a LIGGTPACK for my entertainment center. Then amazon began playing like APPLE trying to block root and customized functions. OUYA is built to be open, powerful, and stable. It quickly became my go to once again. My advice now, and forever, once you find a stable and enjoyable xbmc experience...stick with it and stop looking to upgrade. ;)
You are 100% right. I have 3 ouyas and I am very happy with those devices;no worries about jailbreak and root issues.:)

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks! 19 bucks is too good to pass on. I returned my chromecast but these specs are pretty awesome and is that the actual display?
I just can't see the downside--I've paid more for flash drives. If it's halfway decent it'll be great for travel. I could carry this around in my pocket! Nice post!

pdlibrary

Jul 9, 2013
I have a Fire TV, Ouya, Raspberry Pi, and a Chromecast. For my personal taste I love the fire ttv. I will probably buy the Mozilla stick when it comes out though.

nickld

Oct 1, 2012
The great Inland Northwest
I'm finding myself in agreement with you Showgun. I was pretty happy with my Ouya. Then the Fire TV came out and I just had to have one, so I got one the first week they were available. Great box and good hardware, but I'm disgusted that Amazon has decided to go the Apple route by attempting to force users into their ecosystem.

My Fire TV is rooted and runs great, but I'm thinking of giving it to my brother as I find myself using the Ouya more and more instead of the Fire TV. Sure its a little slower navigating menus and listing my video library, but not a whole lot slower and the video quality is just fine. I prefer using SPMC launcher myself on it. I'm using the PS3 BD remote control. As far as I'm concerned, the video playback quality is just fine and I like the Idea of having an open system that encourages me to hack it and tinker with it. I may just get another one just to screw around with as well as purchase a few for gifts this Christmas.

Each to his own I guess. Cheers! :cool:

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
kinda glad after reading this that i didn't purchase a fireTV. my ouya's have been running so well i just didn't see the need to try anything different. and i prefer the gaming controller to any remote as i can "surf" much quicker with it and don't find it hard on the fingers as i do with other standard remotes... works great for me...
kinda had a feeling the fireTV was possibly going to break the hacks with updates... much like apple.

Flyindog1

Feb 17, 2014
I ordered 1, for $20 can't really go wrong. If I can't do xbmc on it, it will at least be Netflix in a bedroom. Now if it does do xbmc, a lite install of F.T.V and Ontapp is in its future. Just hope Amazon hasn't locked it down too much. Not sure if I need root for my plans, so that's not a deal breaker.
As far as my main system, I don't see anything replacing my HTPC for a while.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Amazon doesn't make money on the fire TV so I guess that's why they have to block root although as long as it runs XBMC it's all I care

Flyindog1

Feb 17, 2014
Amazon doesn't make money on the fire TV so I guess that's why they have to block root although as long as it runs XBMC it's all I care
They CLAIM they don't make money on the Fire TV, and maybe they don't make much. And at $20 on the Fire stick, they definitely don't make money. The hope of course is that you buy Amazon Prime (where the money is)
But I agree if the stick runs xbmc without root I'm good.

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
Just got my new FTV (unrootable) yesterday and have had a little play around with it. So far not overly impressed TBH. Yeah it runs XBMC once sideloaded but it's not very accessible (available from the homescreen). Have installed a SNES emulator which works fine (only tried Super Metroid) and I can use my ouya controller with it. Had to sideload Firefox browser and Chrome and Flash Player for web browsing which isn't great. Installed a custom launcher too. My biggest gripe is not being able to use the USB port for storage. Hopefully, someone will work out how to root the new firmware and this will open it up a bit more with maybe custom roms and USB storage access. I play a lot of emulators and have all my roms on a 500GB usb drive. I can use this with my Ouya (and install apps to it) and can use it with my Droidbox X7 with no issues. Anyhow, @ $19 for a streaming stick it probably would be value for money once xbmc was installed. But like showgun still prefer my ouya ATM.

Flyindog1

Feb 17, 2014
Agreed, at $40 (regular price) I would have passed. I've messed around with the ouya, and it's surprisingly capable.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Such a refreshing change to hear about people giving the ouya the respect it deserves and at the same time see a hint of regression for the aftv.

I was wondering when all this would happen. Its about time lol.

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
I agree, I went from 3 ouyas to 3 fire tv's and couldnt be happier. Everyone is going to have different reasons for using different boxes, but for me its all about XBMC, so the fire tv is perfect for me.