Fire sticks, one works, one doesn't?

crookster

Dec 13, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have a really strange problem. I've been using Kodi or XBMC as it was for years on various different devices so am not a novice but I'm by no means an expert either.

I recently bought a Fire TV stick, set it up in the kitchen and bingo, live football while the Mrs is watching I'm a celeb or some crap. It worked so well I decided to buy another one for the living room while they were cheap the other week. It arrived the other day, I set it up and installed Kodi, set up the TV addons but it doesn't work. Most the icons are displayed but it doesn't work. No streams at all on Genesis, on Pho*nix I only get 3 thumbnails which are News updates, NHL and a music one. Where has Stael or Woody gone? I have taken the stick to work and it worked first time, weird eh?

So basically I have two sticks on the same network and one works and one doesn't. I take it to work and its fine so not a prob with how I set it up? It makes me think my ISP is blocking the second one, but if so why does the first one still work?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm stumped!

Last edited:

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Wow that's super odd. On your second device, go to the Amazon settings and see what your IP is. Perhaps you are not connecting to the same network?

crookster

Dec 13, 2015
Yeah it is very odd! Its definitely on the same network as I had to put the network password in to connect. Only thing I can think is that its something to do with the ports on my router and I got lucky with the first one. Not much of an expert with routers though.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Just for the heck of it, unplug the first one that's working and then plug in the second one that's not. Curious to see what happens.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
check your router settings.bt smart steup is that clever it can block content to individual devices,your latest device might be this victim.
worth a shot.

crookster

Dec 13, 2015
Thanks Tam, at work tonight but will have a look tomorrow when am home. Is it just a setting in the router settings that can be disabled?

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
Thanks Tam, at work tonight but will have a look tomorrow when am home. Is it just a setting in the router settings that can be disabled?
yeah mate,google bt smart setup disable.it will walk you through it.got caught out with it at my mates.his firetv was fine but his stick was just an endless cycling loop on addons.
hope that is your issue but its a good start.