Fire tv stick constantly crashes, returns to home screen

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
I connect my fire tv stick to one tv (Sharp Aquos LC60LE640U)and my streams stop after just minutes. I connect to my other Tv ( Affinity LE3251) and streams are flawless. Both are running 14.1 Helix. I also run Kodi on my tablet/PC and no issues. I've installed Kodi on many fire tv sticks for others and they have no issue. On all devices, I've used config wizard and am running the defaults according to which device. My question is, why would my fire stick work on one TV with the same settings and not work on another? Not sure if this is relevant, but on the Sharp TV I switched the power outlet that I plugged the AC adapter into and that fixed it for about a week, then back to the same. This tv is also closer to my router so the signal as far as I know is not the issue. Does anyone know why this would be?

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
It sounds like the culprit could be the power source. Could you use an extension cord and try a different outlet? Sounds silly but may be worth a try...

Does your Sharp TV have built in wifi? Is it enabled? Maybe the signal from the TV is interferring with the wifi signal from the stick.

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
It sounds like the culprit could be the power source. Could you use an extension cord and try a different outlet? Sounds silly but may be worth a try...

Does your Sharp TV have built in wifi? Is it enabled? Maybe the signal from the TV is interferring with the wifi signal from the stick.
Yes, the TV does have wifi. I disabled it and still had no success. Is there anything else that can be causing interference? There is also a soundbar and a PlayStation (not sure what model) plugged in to that area if that helps determine anything. I've tried a few different outlets but not much change with any.

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Make sure Playstation is off and not broadcasting wifi and make sure if your soundbar has BT that it is also turned off.

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
Make sure Playstation is off and not broadcasting wifi and make sure if your soundbar has BT that it is also turned off.
I unplugged it and nothing changed. Soundbar doesn't have Bluetooth so there was nothing to adjust. Any other ideas?

rossdret

Mar 31, 2013
I connect my fire tv stick to one tv (Sharp Aquos LC60LE640U)and my streams stop after just minutes. I connect to my other Tv ( Affinity LE3251) and streams are flawless. Both are running 14.1 Helix. I also run Kodi on my tablet/PC and no issues. I've installed Kodi on many fire tv sticks for others and they have no issue. On all devices, I've used config wizard and am running the defaults according to which device. My question is, why would my fire stick work on one TV with the same settings and not work on another? Not sure if this is relevant, but on the Sharp TV I switched the power outlet that I plugged the AC adapter into and that fixed it for about a week, then back to the same. This tv is also closer to my router so the signal as far as I know is not the issue. Does anyone know why this would be?
Do you have dirty power? Had a problem with PC before and would have to unplug it for 2 minutes and plug it back in for it to turn on again. It really does sound like a power problem. Try a outlet with extension cord that is a different circuit like the other gentlemen in here suggested.

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
sorry I'm at a loss. Best to post a log for some of the experts here to look at.
I didn't post a log because the settings are all the same and the logs look identical from one tv to the next
Do you have dirty power? Had a problem with PC before and would have to unplug it for 2 minutes and plug it back in for it to turn on again. It really does sound like a power problem. Try a outlet with extension cord that is a different circuit like the other gentlemen in here suggested.
It's plugged in to a Panamax M8-AV surge protector and everything else is fine. Originally, I had it plugged in on its own outlet separate from the surge protector and that's where I saw the most problems. I'll try a new outlet.

rossdret

Mar 31, 2013
I didn't post a log because the settings are all the same and the logs look identical from one tv to the next

It's plugged in to a Panamax M8-AV surge protector and everything else is fine. Originally, I had it plugged in on its own outlet separate from the surge protector and that's where I saw the most problems. I'll try a new outlet.
Some electronics are sensitive to dirty power others are not. So your tv might be fine during a "sag" or a "outage" but it can cause other electronic devices to have system crashes. We are talking minute voltage drops in one or two phases or an outage in anything greater than half a cycle. Just saying that this is a possibility not a probability. Just to confirm you are using the power adapter for the amazon stick when you have this problem not just using the tv as the power source?

Also try an outlet with a different circuit...check this by flipping circuit breakers to find which outlets it controls. Dirty power can come internally but also externally outside of your home. If you do have dirty power you can buy filters or conditioners that can fix the problem.

Last edited:

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
New outlet so far so good. Been watching a stream for over 20 minutes and that never happened with the other. Thanks for the suggestions

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
still post a log of the crash. Both logs can't be the same since one TV plays perfectly and the other crashes. Post a log from when it crashes.

rossdret

Mar 31, 2013
What freq and channel does your subwoofer operate on? For your wifi do you have 2.4 or a 5ghz connection? The location of the hdmi port on your other tv could have been providing shielding and that is why it was working. How about using an hdmi ext cable and relocating the fire stick from poss interference? If you have 5ghz wifi connection use channel 36

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
What freq and channel does your subwoofer operate on? For your wifi do you have 2.4 or a 5ghz connection? The location of the hdmi port on your other tv could have been providing shielding and that is why it was working. How about using an hdmi ext cable and relocating the fire stick from poss interference? If you have 5ghz wifi connection use channel 36
I have a 2.4ghz connection, any options there?