"Force Quit KODI" function

Junny

Aug 16, 2017
I mainly use "Force Quit KODI" function on old indigo to exit KODI.

I just install new indigo-3.0.2 today, but the new indigo do not exist "Force Quit KODI" icon.

so how do I get "Force Quit KODI" back?

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I mainly use "Force Quit KODI" function on old indigo to exit KODI.

I just install new indigo-3.0.2 today, but the new indigo do not exist "Force Quit KODI" icon.

so how do I get "Force Quit KODI" back?
Great question. Not sure why it was left out but we will look into it and pass on the request.

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
Whats the point of having or using it? There is an off button on the main menu page of kodi that shuts it down the right way. It was a lot of unnecessary code (bloat) that basically just duplicated the OS shutting it down with no other advantage. Except maybe in creating more crash logs from using it. On an android box you can just pull the power cord. These can also cause other issues doing these regularly.

[edit] The only time I can see where you need to "force quit" kodi is in the case of a lockup or freeze situation. if that happens then you wouldnt be able to get to the "force quit kodi" button to click it. You then need to pull the power cord or force close Kodi from within the OS.
Force quitting kodi can lead to other issues, like with corrupted databases, and should only be done as a last resort anyway. Doing so can cause more harm than benefit. Thats why there is an off button on kodis main menu page to properly shut it down.
I really dont see the point to it.

Last edited:

Junny

Aug 16, 2017
Whats the point of having or using it? There is an off button on the main menu page of kodi that shuts it down the right way. It was a lot of unnecessary code (bloat) that basically just duplicated the OS shutting it down with no other advantage. Except maybe in creating more crash logs from using it. On an android box you can just pull the power cord. These can also cause other issues doing these regularly.

[edit] The only time I can see where you need to "force quit" kodi is in the case of a lockup or freeze situation. if that happens then you wouldnt be able to get to the "force quit kodi" button to click it. You then need to pull the power cord or force close Kodi from within the OS.
Force quitting kodi can lead to other issues, like with corrupted databases, and should only be done as a last resort anyway. Doing so can cause more harm than benefit. Thats why there is an off button on kodis main menu page to properly shut it down.
I really dont see the point to it.

yes! the KODI come with "exit" button,

but when I click it, it always stuck and never exit!

so I just use force quit KODI icon to replace original exit function.

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
Yeah if its doing that then there is something else wrong. You need to find what addon or setting is causing it to hang on exit and get that fixed. You would need to either change the setting or find and talk to the dev of the addon thats causing it.
Like I said, using it like that can cause other problems. like filling up your drive space with crash logs and corrupting a database if you force quit while its writing to one.
Your possibly causing other problems trying to mask or work around the real problem.

Junny

Aug 16, 2017
Yeah if its doing that then there is something else wrong. You need to find what addon or setting is causing it to hang on exit and get that fixed. You would need to either change the setting or find and talk to the dev of the addon thats causing it.
Like I said, using it like that can cause other problems. like filling up your drive space with crash logs and corrupting a database if you force quit while its writing to one.
Your possibly causing other problems trying to mask or work around the real problem.
thank you for your advice,
I already update all available update addons,
but it still hang on exit screen, I really unable to solve the problem.
anyway thank you for your help.

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
What you might want to try is to make a backup, or copy, of your kodi folder. I'm not sure what your running it on. But then do a fresh start, or factory reset, with factory settings, reinstall the addons you have one by one until the issue returns. Then you know which one is causing it. If you get them all reinstalled and dont have the issue then its your settings. Put the kodi folder back and change the settings until its working right.

[edit] Its also possible that you already have a corrupted or broken database from doing a forced shutdown because of a different problem. Then now the database might be causing it to hang trying to close it on shutdown. That happened to me me once

Last edited:

Junny

Aug 16, 2017
so it's possible to release the "Force Quit KODI" function on the next indigo version?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
What box are you using? On Android and Windows (not sure about others) you can simply hit the home key and force exit from there. In Android, navigate to your app, select Kodi and select Force Close. On Windows, Ctrt>Alt>Del and force close it from there.

Bytet

Jul 1, 2016
I also loved the force quit function. What's the code? I'm using XBMC.Quit() but indigo's function worked better. Not interested in investigating why it's hanging just would like the code please.