Forgive my ignorance, please!

Bert

Nov 19, 2014
I am a somewhat technology challenged senior citizen trying to save expenses by cutting my cable tv. I have an extremely dumb question. I managed to download the software onto my PC (Windows 8.1) but I just don't understand how it connects to my TV. Do I need a smart TV or do I have to connect the devices with an ethernet cord? I can't believe that is the case, but I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this procedure. Thanks in advance.

lgoodknight

May 28, 2013
Rock Island Arsenal IL
I believe you have to watch tv on your PC unless your PC has a HDMI slot to attach a cable from it to the TV. I would doubt that as most do not except a few laptops.

Of course you can try to order a card to insert inside your pc that has a HDMI slot out the back but this may not work for you. And few want a PC right beside their tv.

Bert

Nov 19, 2014
I thought this program was meant to stream programming to your TV, like Windows Media Center, only better, because it could access programming that didn't necessarily reside on your PC. So you're saying that I am I mistaken about that?

So, are you saying if I loaded this onto my laptop and connected it to my TV via an HDMI cord, it would work?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
I thought this program was meant to stream programming to your TV, like Windows Media Center, only better, because it could access programming that didn't necessarily reside on your PC. So you're saying that I am I mistaken about that?

So, are you saying if I loaded this onto my laptop and connected it to my TV via an HDMI cord, it would work?
You still need a way to get windows media centre to your tv

Xbmc/kodi is the same.Its a media centre
You need some device connected to your tv to run it on,there are many many options available,android boxes,windows machines,apple tvs,rasp pi,etc etc and so on and so forth.It works on all of these http://www.tvaddons.co/install-kodi/

If you have a laptop like you say,yes it will work with an hdmi cable plugged into the tv

Do that and you should be good to go :)

If you have a smart tv you can stream your local media to the tv over the network using the "play using" feature in xbmc (providing your tv sees it)

Last edited:

lgoodknight

May 28, 2013
Rock Island Arsenal IL
Bert I do not know the capabilities of you laptop. But what I would do is buy a very cheap HDMI cable, plug it into my laptop and into my tv and see if I could get it set up to view as second display. If I could then I would set up xbmc on my laptop and you should be good to go.

Bert

Nov 19, 2014
Well, I know the HDMI connection will work as I use it to watch ESPN3 programming in this manner. I do have one smart TV. So if I download the KODI software to my laptop, it might recognize it or do I have to select some setting to make the connection? Once again, I appreciate all your help in this matter.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
If you can connect your laptop to the tv with the hdmi cable(and it works for you),then install xbmc/kodi on the laptop and thats it,you are good to go

Just run the software on the laptop and you will see it on your tv

Bert

Nov 19, 2014
OK. I guess I was just hoping for a more wireless player connection.

I guess a little more exploration is necessary on my part before I commit to this program. Will have to see if I can figure out how to access programming making it worthwhile.

Once again, thanks to all who responded. You were very helpful.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Random Topics 7