Frequent XBMC Crashes

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
hey everyone... just throwing this out there to see if any one else has had this issue and was able to solve it before I start really delving into it.

PIVOS M3 with Linux build most recent version and connected wireless.
I have several pivos and this seems to only be happening to the oldest one (the one I purchased 1st not that oldest build)

it seems anything can cause a crash and I even have just done a fresh install and didn't play with any of the setting to see if that would help but it didn't.

sometimes it crashes only xbmc (i only see the splash screen) other times is crashed the whole system and the pivos actually reboots.

has anyone ever had this issue and able to solve it? or willing to give me a second set of eyes to help me figure this out? I can post logs but don't have any yet...

velocity

Sep 6, 2013
Xios is known to have flakey behavior when internal memory is full, being as this is happening to your oldest unit this makes sense.
Have you done a factory re-set and cleared all data and are you running with an SD card using an xbmc-data folder?

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
Yes to both. I thought that May have been the issue and this was the 1st thing I did. But it hasn't fixed the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion though I am looking at just a brain storming session here so if any one want me to try something no matter how stupid throw it out there and let's see what happened. I have a feeling I am going to need to get a few logs and see what it says. May offer some insights.

I was just hoping that someone has had this issue already and could steer me in the right direction

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
Oh yeah something I just thought about. I am using the official xbmc remote for iPhone. This seems to crash more that when I am using it rather that the pivos remote. ( that doesn't mean it only crashes with the iPhone but just "seems" more frequent)

velocity

Sep 6, 2013
A couple of other suggestions:
Try running it without the SD card and see if any difference.
This is a long shot but perhaps the box is overheating?

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
I can try without the sd card but that is what the situation was when it started crashing... the user data sd card in new in attempt to remedy the crashes....

as for over heating... I thought of this as well and started unplugging it for the night to let it cool and then start it up in the when i want to watch something... but then it still crashes with in a few minutes of plugging it in.

I will see if I can get it too crash today (shouldn't be too hard) and get a log for it to see if that reveals anything... I will post them a little later today.

thanks for just throwing stuff out there Velo**ty.... the brainstorming helps narrow things down and lead the questions that I may not have thought about

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
ok so it looks like getting these logs so others can see it is being a bit of a job... I can see them on my computer but the log just stops when it crashes and on reboot a new log is created! there is no error at there end of the initial log it just ends. so I will have to try this again tomorrow.

is there a way for me to upload the file out side of the file uploader so I can show what i mean?... because from what I know if i use the fie uploader it will only upload the newest one and that just shows the pivos coming back on and not the actual crash

velocity

Sep 6, 2013
I would try re-flashing it back to Android and run some of the stock software. If it doesn't crash, add XBMC into the mix and see if that crashes. If you are still getting crashes, it is probably hardware, if not, it could have been some corruption on the linux side.

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
that is a great idea.. it might take me a minute or 2 to figure out how to do that... I have wanted to know if this was possible but never really been forced to figure it out... I will report my findings when it is complete..

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
well i have reset back to factory pivos os... and it has crashed and rebooted 3 times in the last 15 min!!! looks like it is defective hardware.

now i am looking into warranties to have it replaced as it was only purchased back in sept last yr...

thank for your help and suggestions Velo**ty...sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes or person thinking out loud for a solution to be found.

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
sd card new old and none at all... the sytem just won't stay on.... it is even worse with the android os... so I really think it is a hardware failure

Macbeth1975

Jul 29, 2013
pivos seems to think so as well... emailed for warranty replacement and they where pretty quick to say it was a hardware issue and ask me tosend it back to them