Fubared (almost) laptop software to determine its hardware specs?

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I have been given a laptop, the screen and hard drive are fubared and the battery is next to useless.
As I'd posted in the pi section I'd planned on getting a pi for my folks as an XBMC machine but thought about using the above using the HDMI out and booting from a memory stick into openelec instead,
its not worth spending any money on the laptop but I am assured by the former owner it ran XBMC without a problem,
the only problem I have is without dismantling the whole thing and looking at exactly what hardware is inside it I have no idea what version of openelec to install,
the manufacturers website has absolutely nothing listed about this model so I was hoping a brighter brain than mine might suggest some software I could use to boot from just to find out the hardware please?

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Thanks for the input, Hirens bootcd seems to have done the trick, looks like a dual core celeron with integrated intel graphics,
it should be good enough for my folks needs but I guess I wont be giving them any of my br images on that pc.

schneidz

Dec 29, 2012
what i usually do is boot into a live-usb and run stuff like:
Code:
lspci -v -v -v; cat /proc/cpuinfo; cat /proc/meminfo

mo7benz

Jan 7, 2013
usually i use touslesdrivers.com autodetect module to detect my drivers and download them