G Box custom made firmware?

ohdear

Feb 26, 2014
I am not sure if this question as been asked before? I have looked but I can not find anything. in settings the box is a Matricom G-Box MX2 The clone version I think...Version is 4.2.2 Build JDQ39 20130924 kernel 3.0.50
I have tried to load on Kodi but? super user wont grant it access so it wont work. So the question is ? How do I get around this ? I think its built in the firmware 1.16. the XBMC version 12....
If I need a new a new firmware? could someone point me to the right one. I don't want to flash the wrong version.

Thanks in advance
Jayne.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
i have it way to easy to brick MX devices if installing the wrong firmware...if i could make a suggestion for you it would be to install the AMLOGIC builds of OPENELEC. This will make the MX2 a KODI TV BOX, no ANDROID APPS...but it is awesome.

Atvtester

Aug 2, 2013
i have it way to easy to brick MX devices if installing the wrong firmware...if i could make a suggestion for you it would be to install the AMLOGIC builds of OPENELEC. This will make the MX2 a KODI TV BOX, no ANDROID APPS...but it is awesome.
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread. I also have this box and interest on making the MX2 a KODI TV BOX. Can you direct us to how to go about and convert this box? thanks in advance

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread. I also have this box and interest on making the MX2 a KODI TV BOX. Can you direct us to how to go about and convert this box? thanks in advance
hxxp://matricom.net/install-openelec-xbmc-g-box-mx2/

ohdear

Feb 26, 2014
@sgt colon, thank you for the link I will give this a try. my brother is using the openlec version. I am not fond on it to be honest. I like certain apps that work as a stand alone ;) But I have noticed certain apps are not working with the version 12 xbmc This is why I mentioned the firmware change, just did not how to go about it. I only hope I don't brick it.
Thank you all for your input.

Jayne.

Sgt.Colon

Jan 14, 2014
Ohdear,

I upgraded mine only last week and all went well. I found it very straight forward. Just remember you'll need a SD card to do the upgrade. :)

Atvtester

Aug 2, 2013
If I install the AMLOGIC builds of OPENELEC, when there's a upgrade would I look for matricom or android or amlogic to upgrade since amlogic will change android to kodi box. Is there amlogic section on this forum to ask question if I have any issue or question?

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
with openelec you can set it to manual upgrade or auto upgrade in openelec settings, and it is fine to post any ??? that you may have in the future in this section it is for the mx2.

ohdear

Feb 26, 2014
Hello again, is there a rooted version of this firmware 1.20...I have just tried to ad a few apps and it wont allow me with this firmware...It says root is needed for this app? So is it possible to root this once installed??? or is there a version that is rooted???

Jayne.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
try this matricom link and see if it helps

or reflash to 1.2.2 its pre rooted but you need to flash the google stuff to it

Last edited:

Friffy1

May 18, 2013
Do you know if this will work on the original GBox Midnight (pre MX2, that is)? I have a version 2.x original Gbox.
I've been running J1nx's linux build for it. Been running great but I'm stuck with Frodo. I'd really like to bring it up-to-date. Or at least to Gotham. Thing is it ran way too slow for my taste running Android.