G Box midnight VPN

berty98

Feb 13, 2014
Hi as anybody out there got a VPN to work on a G box midnight,I'm struggling ,anyhelp appreciated.

HANNAH

Jun 26, 2013
I don't think you can do it. Search on the hub site for using proxy's that worked for me

tvro

Aug 8, 2013
Canada
yes I have purevpn working on my mx2 took a few chats from purevpn and some direction but it is working 90 percent of the time if really busy it buffers to much so I turn the vpn off

berty98

Feb 13, 2014
yes I have purevpn working on my mx2 took a few chats from purevpn and some direction but it is working 90 percent of the time if really busy it buffers to much so I turn the vpn off
Hi Guys yes still struggling with this my mate as an MX2 he's no problem getting his to work.

tvro

Aug 8, 2013
Canada
as i said i have it working use it pretty well every day but I did struggle with setting and did an online chat with purevpn tech support took me a few tries but managed to get it going with their help so far 3 weeks into it have only had a few problems.

tvro

Aug 8, 2013
Canada
I could send you my chats with purevpn if that helps as I saved them
they sent me to this link as the app didn't work for me had to do manually

http://www.purevpn.com/config/android_pptp/

but that is sorta in the middle of my chat after trying other things

one big thing was to find the closest reliable server i wanted to use one in the US but was too far from my location in Canada so I'm using one in Montreal which is still petty far but works haven't tried any other locations at this time as pretty new to this wanted to do a US to get Hulu but server was to far which makes it to slow to stream as they get more servers up may be able to get a closer US one that works for me
They have a test site to test your connection and speed

Last edited:

berty98

Feb 13, 2014
I could send you my chats with purevpn if that helps as I saved them
they sent me to this link as the app didn't work for me had to do manually

http://www.purevpn.com/config/android_pptp/

but that is sorta in the middle of my chat after trying other things

one big thing was to find the closest reliable server i wanted to use one in the US but was too far from my location in Canada so I'm using one in Montreal which is still petty far but works haven't tried any other locations at this time as pretty new to this wanted to do a US to get Hulu but server was to far which makes it to slow to stream as they get more servers up may be able to get a closer US one that works for me
They have a test site to test your connection and speed

Hi Tyro you have an MX2 box which is different from my G Box midnight,I think yours as a better processor and firmware.I'll think I will
invest in one!

tvro

Aug 8, 2013
Canada
yea sorry I missed that I have the g-box mx2 dual processor I think the only way it might work on the midnight is if you do it on your router if your router supports vpn's I have 3 more boxes but so far the mx2 is the only one I have the vpn on I have 2 slav units which use same software as the midnight but i'm running linux on them and the sigma which is linux again but since my main tv is the g-box mx2 which is where I installed it, haven't got around to the others as it was a bit of a chore to get running on the mx2 may try it on router instead of all the boxes.

berty98

Feb 13, 2014
Thanks tvro,i've no idea to do it on my router,if you could point in the right direction on some instructions please.
The frustrating thing is I cannot even access the VPN on my box because it keeps asking me for a password or pin,which I've never set up.

tvro

Aug 8, 2013
Canada
I've never done it on router yet either you would have to look up your router and see if it does vpn's I would talk to purevpn they would be able to point you in the right direction

Last edited:

new2gbox

Feb 1, 2013
I tried everything it would connect then disconnect spoke to servers ect... They just said they didn't support it who knows why but works 100% on ouya and most android devices

berty98

Feb 13, 2014
Hi I've discovered a way to get a VPN working on the G Box midnight.midnight. I've signed upto PIA ,but if you can find a free "PPTP" same principles apply.After extensive research and heartbreak this is only way a VPN will work on a G Box midnight due to the TUN module missing from the G Box midnight.

It is required to use the Username and Password generated from our GENERATING A PASSWORD FOR PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS guide.
Open Settings and click on Wireless Controls
Click on VPN Settings
Click on Add VPN
Click on Add PPTP VPN
In the VPN Name field, enter Private Internet Access
In the Set VPN Server field, enter us-west.privateinternetaccess.com [*]
Make sure PPTP Encryption is enabled.
Click Save
Open Settings and click on Wireless Controls
Click on Private Internet Access
In the Username: field, enter your supplied username
In the Password: field, enter your supplied password
Some users may select Remember username
Click Connect

the instructions are on this link https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#android_pptp

dj_siek

Jun 25, 2013
I had no idea you could do this. I've been using a flashrouter. (which was awesome).

Has this setup been reliable for you? if VPN drops, does the internet not work? (that's what i'd want... to ensure no risk of no vpn usage).

dan

Jan 8, 2013
expat in mexico
Somewhat complicated,,but does anyone know how to set up the newer airport express for vpn maybe under guest network?can this route be accomplished?if its easy then perhaps is a consistent way to go

AgentEccks

Aug 26, 2014
Greetings!

New to the forum, and about a month new to my Gbox MX2. I do have the XBMChub software installed on it as well.

In response to this question, I also have a PIA VPN account that I use on my MX2 and it works just fine. Although, I did not go through all the complicated instructions mentioned above, I simply installed their app, entered my account info and have it set to load on boot. If you don't want to run the VPN, you simply disconnect through the app and it defaults back to your regular Internet/WiFi access.

The nice thing about PIA is that they allow up to 5 devices per account. I have in installed on my Desktop, Laptop, Note3, and Gbox without any issues at all.

I hope this helps.

FYI: I just upgraded to the new GBox 1.2.2 software with XBMC 13.2 and have not yet installed everything back, namely the VPN App, but I will report back if anything has changed once I get it loaded back in.

UPDATE (2014-09-02): Happy to report that my PIA app still works fine with the MX2 1.2.2 Beta Release.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Kodi Support 6
B VPN Services 0
N Android Boxes 10