Gbox Midnight MX2 - Slow Playback HELP PLEASE!!

jonrobx

Apr 3, 2016
I have slow playback, like slow motion, when trying to play anything in HD, on any add-on. I've tried using Helix 14.2, Isengard 15.2 and Jarvis, and the only time I've had any success was n Helix 14.2, where I had perfect HD playback for a couple of months. I have no idea why it worked so well on that occasion as I didn't change any settings. Then after having some other issues I updated to Jarvis and have tried, even just with one or two addons, with no success.

I've tried toggling the 'de-interlace' etc, but seems to make no difference.

I've tried searching the wiki and FAQ's, and although this issue seems to be mentioned, I haven't been able to figure it out.

I can provide any settings that would help. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's driving me crazy!

jonrobx

Apr 3, 2016
All Hardware Accelerators switched on in Kodi?
On the Video - Settings / Acceleration page it reads:

Enable HQ... 0%
Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec Checked
libstagefright Checked
MediaCodec Checked

Any ideas from that?

Thanks.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Had a read up on this box, one of the things that is mentioned is that it doesn't have true 1080p output, in fact it puts out a rather measly 1280x720p and downscales (is that the right word?) 1080p material so it can display it properly on a 720p display. Bizarrely, with XBMC\Kodi it then upscales this 720p back up to 1080p so it can be viewed on 1080p displays! i.e. There's no video passthrough of a 1080p video signal. There was quite a bit about this on the Kodi Forums a couple of years ago, it's still there so you can have a good read.

There was supposed to be an official firmware fix for this but I don't know if it ever came out, there are also supposed to be some custom firmwares developed by third parties that fixed it as well. The info's pretty easy to find on Google.

Now I have no idea if any of that has any bearing on your problem or not but slow playback of HD material is usually a sign that something's underpowered somewhere and I think the easiest way to test this would be to play back some 720p and 1080p material and see what happens. Metalkettle's Repo has a Big Buck Bunny add-on where you can play the cartoon at different resolutions so it will be easy to compare like for like. If the 720p plays OK but the 1080p doesn't then I'd say your particular hardware is trying to do too much with the data and just running out of puff. If even the 720p won't play properly for you then I think it's time to get a new box!

This disparity could account for why HD used to work for you and doesn't now, 720p material was around for a while before 1080p started taking over as the standard for HD streams.

After all that I hope this at least gives you some clues towards finding out what's going on, let us know how you get on.

n2play

Apr 4, 2013
My MX was a slug and lockfest until I wiped android and flashed openELEC. The massive reductions of issues and improvement in performance was well worth giving up apps. I gave the box to my friend and somehow it corrupted. It wouldn't let me re-flash openELEC or Android, but it did let me flash Ember (which had helped me revive that box before), so I left it as the OS when I returned it to him. It's quite smooth on the box.

contagius

Oct 15, 2013
I put openelec on my box and it runs like shizz. Went back to tvmc. Much better response.

My MX was a slug and lockfest until I wiped android and flashed openELEC. The massive reductions of issues and improvement in performance was well worth giving up apps. I gave the box to my friend and somehow it corrupted. It wouldn't let me re-flash openELEC or Android, but it did let me flash Ember (which had helped me revive that box before), so I left it as the OS when I returned it to him. It's quite smooth on the box.