gbox mx2

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
Hello, i have an older box and trying to figure out what the best file or download to install on it . I"m trying to upgrade my gbox mx2 to get better performance . I tried to download Kodi 16.1 but when i"m on line with the box it wont let me . I"m not sure what the best way to upgrade this unit or even if i can, but if someone can help me out ,that would be great . thanks in advance . I have heard of openELEC , and TVMC ,but i think i read to much and now confused.

THanks

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
4.2.2 should handle Jarvis 16.1 with no problems. Not sure why you can't download it to the box. Maybe try to download it to your PC, put it on a SD card or USB Stick and install that way.

How are you trying to download to the box? The play store only has Krypton v17 now since it is the latest stable version and that won't work on anything less then OS v5.0

You can get the version you need here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk
I would think the ARM version is what you need. If not, get the x86 version but I would think this will work.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
I dont think Maticom has updated the firmware since 1.2.2.
At this point i dont think they are going to.
So for now your kinda stuck at android v4.2.2.
kodi 16.1 and SPMC should run fine on it.
Because its not android v4.5 or higher kodi 17+ for android wont work.
Openelec or Liberelec with kodi 17 should be able to run (because they are linux based) though I havent tried them yet.
To just install kodi 16 just look in the play store for kodi or SPMC.
Or uninstall whatever kodi you have and either use the browser to download then install the apk (ARM version).
Or download the apk on your pc, put it on an sd card and sideload it to the gbox.
If you want to try Openelec or Librelec there should be instructions on their sites for setting up the sd caard to reflash the mx2
Because of some issues with python 2.7.8 (and lower) and ssl, it might be better to try Openelec or Librelec.
But my gbox mx2 runs fine with kodi 16.1 and SPMC

Last edited:

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
@RavRob yeah, It needs the ARM version.
Sorry I posted at the same time as you. I type slow :)

Last edited:

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
Hi ,thanks for fast reply . I must be missing something . I downloaded that file on usb stick , tried downloading as is, tried loading it unzipped ,its not working out .Tried touthpick method ,not working. i get a couple errors , (There was a problem parsing the pakage ) and (dependencies not met ,please contact addon auther ). Is there a step by step for this . thanks again .

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
O K , figured out how to install ,jarvis 16.1. I had 2 check marks not allowing downloads . O k now i have to figure out how to get everything working . Cant get movies ,nothing is working , i think i have to install something else, i think its a wizard .

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
which file and from where?
The toothpick method is for doing a reflash (well basically).
For that you would need the firmware or Openelec or Librelec and a properly formatted/structured sd card. its not hard
If your just trying to install kodi try the play store first. thats the easiest way

Last edited:

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
This is all great stuff .I had everything going with kodi 16.1 , movies , everything was working .I turn it off, turn it back on ,it lags at the android word screen . Trying to find the gbox mx2 original files. Does anyone here have it , that would be great. Thanks again .

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
Ahh looks like i bricked it . All i have now is a blue light. I can turn it on and off . I guess that's it for that .Tried all kinds of recovery files ,nothing happening.

ute

Dec 16, 2012
Just use USB flashing tool, never had an android that this program can't unbrick

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Thats the thing with a gbox mx2.
Its almost never unrecoverable.
What you might try is to find the 1.1.6 firmware and recovery files.
That almost always fixes it back up and clears out the system files section.
It gets filled up from doing multiple reflashes and the other firmware flashes dont clear it properly.
if it still wont do it try a different sd card.
Been there. Done that lol
After you get 1.1.6 working, then you can toothpick it to another version like 1.2 or1.2.2 or something.
Or, then try OE or LE if you want.
Matricom used to have them all on their wiki page but I cant find it now so you may have to google them

smoken

Apr 6, 2015
Hey guys ,thanks again , im having hard time finding these files , and the one 's i have dont seem to be working . Ute are you saying i can update mx2 with usb when i can only get power light on . because thats all i can get . no

ute

Dec 16, 2012
No this is a tool to load original firmware back to the MXII if you can't by SD

When you do get it back ..use a SD card to update to LE

As crzen said you can't brick these babys