Getting the best performance from your Android TV box

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
When I decided to cut the cord I started looking for cheap and free options to do so and like many others I came across the fully loaded Kodi boxes on Amazon for 30 bucks and thought oh man what a deal. I ordered one and it came in the mail a few days later. Hooking it up was simple enough plug the power cord in and plug in the HDMI cable. I popped some popcorn dimmed the lights and got ready to watch my favorite movie or so I thought. I clicked on Kodi and hey wait I don’t see any movies on here. This thing must be broken I thought. The ad claimed it plays new movies right out of the box!!! Well maybe it needs an update or something. Well how do I do that? Picked up my phone and googled how to update Kodi. Holy crap look at all these articles I picked one and needless to say I did more reading that night than movie watching.

Fast forward a few days and several hours of reading and watching YouTube videos I figured out how to load a “Build” with all the bells and whistles with all the best add-ons supposedly by a professional. It was so cool looking and I finally can watch some movies awesome!!! With the sweet smell of kettle corn in the air the lights dimmed low and my big screens warm glow filling the room I hit play on a Blockbuster hit I was excited about and it started playing and all was right in the world... until the screen froze and a message popped up that said Memory full. Full I just got this thing how can it be full? I thought… More reading that night and to my relief I found the TV ADDONS forum.

After searching through several threads and with the guidance of several friendly folks on this forum I can say that when I pop my popcorn I can finally watch all my favorite movies and shows without any problems at all. Thank you so much to all of you!!!

I thought I would try to return the favor by passing along some of that information in a guide of sorts for newbies to Kodi using android.

First thing I would recommend is do some research before you buy. Buy a quality android box the best you can buy within your budget. The more RAM the better. At minimum specs should include a Quad core Amlogic S905 processor or better and android 5.1 or better. Do Not buy boxes that are fully loaded Kodi boxes they are fully loaded with crap. Most of them have old versions of Kodi and loaded with broken or no longer supported add-ons or use unofficial repositories. You actually cause yourself more work and headache when buying loaded ones. That being said If you already bought one and you are here to try to figure out why it isn’t working like promised don’t fret you can delete all the preloaded crap and start anew. Delete Kodi and all the other bloatware. Most Android boxes only have 1 gig of RAM the better ones have 2. That’s not a lot so the more you have available the better.

Install the latest supported version of Kodi available in the play store and then install the add-ons you plan to use. The best ones can be found right here in this forum!!! Install the bare minimum for your needs I only use 2. Don’t make the mistake I made although it may be tempting to take a shortcut and install a build that offers all of the best add-ons this is not the best thing to do. Many add-ons do the same exact thing as another. They may have minute details that make one stand out over another to each user so find one or two you like and stick with them. Remember the more add-ons you install the less memory you have to run the programs.

When it comes to memory it doesn’t take long to run out. Cached movie titles, metadata and movie poster thumbnails are stored in your devices memory so basically everything you browse through in the add-ons is stored in the devices memory trust me it doesn’t take long to use it all up. One way of fixing this is to clear the cache every few days but this can become quite tedious. Luckily most android TV boxes have SD card and USB external storage ports. Using external storage can be tricky but it can be done and is the best way to maximize you boxes performance. So get yourself the fastest SD card with the most storage as possible you can format it with a tool such as AParted. Then you want to install link2SD Plus this program allows you to move all program files and cached data (those pesky movie poster thumbnails) to your SD card leaving lots of room for Kodi to do its thing. I’m not going to go into every single step because these programs are fairly straight forward and user friendly but if you get hung up let me know and I’ll help best I can.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sylkat.AParted
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.link2sdplus

cscott1

<--Don't forget to hit the like button if this helped you.

Last edited:

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Good post, glad you found your way.
Just to add, there is instructions on the kodi wiki for moving your kodi data to sd without having to use link2sd.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
One way of fixing this is to clear the cache every few days but this can become quite tedious.
There are scripts out there to automate this, my box clears with every reboot so there is nothing tedious about it...

Even if you do use external storage it's a good idea to regularly clean it up or it will bloat up quite fast...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Good post, glad you found your way.
Just to add, there is instructions on the kodi wiki for moving your kodi data to sd without having to use link2sd.
yes true and it is the preferred method if you are solely running Kodi but for those folks that are running a few other apps on their box like Netflix and Pandora like myself the link2SD plus moves the apk files and cached data for all third party apps. Its a handy tool to manage your RAM.

here is the link to the preferred method obsianwings is referring to for those that prefer to use that option
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data_location_for_Android

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
I forgot to mention its a good idea to do a fresh start delete Kodi then reload the your preferred add-ons every month or so to keep your box running like new.

Gonzo1968

Jan 26, 2016
Az
I noticed that after being on vacation for a few weeks Kodi was not operating as efficiently as before. I did a fresh start as well.

scott1959

Dec 22, 2016
Thanks guys for all your help maybe i should have added that i am using Kodi on a Amazon fire stick,will that make any difference to the suggestions that you have made?

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Thanks guys for all your help maybe i should have added that i am using Kodi on a Amazon fire stick,will that make any difference to the suggestions that you have made?
That should not matter with the exception that you need to sideload Kodi

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
The firestick doesn't have a SD port so you can't use the link2SD tool but all the other advice should help.