Gifting a Fire TV stick set up with TVMC but registered with my amazon account

podge018

Dec 15, 2015
I bought 2 sticks on Black Friday, both came registered to my account. Im new to KODI but I have gone through the process outlined on this site and installed it on 1 stick. Happy days.

My question is can I do likewise on the other stick, then unregister it and give it a gift to somebody for Christmas? Will TVMC be still installed/working on it when he registers it and connects to his broadband?

I'd like to get it done asap as I'm reading stories of amazon somehow blocking all this from the fire sticks but that might be scaremongering. Either way I'd like to do it as he's not that technically proficient so would be nice if it was all ready to go.

Last edited:

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Is the answer also yes that Amazon is somehow blocking all this? We're not getting our FireStick until Christmas day.

podge018

Dec 15, 2015
i'm installing it now and I can't find the guide I used for the first stick. It was a 51 or so step guide which also showed how to add TVMC to the recent menu in place of an app you sacrifice. I can't find it again though, any link please?

Last edited:

podge018

Dec 15, 2015
it would appear I've bricked the device somehow. :mad: It's stuck on the amazon logo screen.

Anyway to fix it?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
it would appear I've bricked the device somehow. :mad: It's stuck on the amazon logo screen.

Anyway to fix it?
No idea how you'd brick the FTV stick. It's not rootable so there's little damage that you can do that can't be undone. You could use the button combo that forces a factory reset (not sure what it is but check aftvnews). Could be a defective device. Try plugging it directly into the wall if it's not already.

podge018

Dec 15, 2015
you can brick the device, but the options to unbrick not available to me:

How to unbrick and prevent bricking an Amazon Fire TV | AFTVnews

Recovery via ADB - can't connect.
Recovery via Boot Menu - not installed
Recovery via USB keyboard - don't have one
Recovery via remote button combo - they say it's unlikely to work and it didn't.
I also tried plugging into wall.

My first installation of TVMC didn't work.
So I reset to factory settings.
At some point an amazon update came through.
On start up it was stuck on the Amazon logo splash.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
you can brick the device, but the options to unbrick not available to me:

How to unbrick and prevent bricking an Amazon Fire TV | AFTVnews

Recovery via ADB - can't connect.
Recovery via Boot Menu - not installed
Recovery via USB keyboard - don't have one
Recovery via remote button combo - they say it's unlikely to work and it didn't.
I also tried plugging into wall.

My first installation of TVMC didn't work.
So I reset to factory settings.
At some point an amazon update came through.
On start up it was stuck on the Amazon logo splash.
Weird. And that link you posted is talking about aftv (not stick). Theres no reason Im aware of thatd cause a brick. At least not a software reason... you cant modify the system so nothing you could do wouldve caused a brick that Im aware of.
That being said, Id call amazon and ask for support. Good luck.

Last edited:

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
Klit75 is right,there is no way you can brick a stick.
make sure its plugged into the wall and try again.
what i use is a very old version of adbfire to sideload my apks.
best thing to do is sideload firestarter.
open that,update it to latest version if not already then you can load kodi via that without sideloading.simple

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
i'm installing it now and I can't find the guide I used for the first stick. It was a 51 or so step guide which also showed how to add TVMC to the recent menu in place of an app you sacrifice. I can't find it again though, any link please?

hi mate,dont bother with the sacrificial app as firestarter allows you to boot into kodi with one press of the home key.once you install firestarter you can map home key to however may clicks you like.i use one press for kodi and two presses for firestick home page

podge018

Dec 15, 2015
I cant get past the amazon splash screen, it's stuck on that. I can't connect via adbfire. It's plugged into the wall.

What can I do with where I am?

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
sounds like its f**cked mate.
get onto amazon for a repacement.if you have tried unplugging it from the power socket and leaving it for ten minutes,if after that its still in bootloop you will need to contact amazon for a replacement.
it happens.