Going crazy trying to figure it out...

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
First, I'm sorry for the long post...
Hi. I'm fairly new to Kodi (about 7 months). However, I use it a lot, and I spend a lot of time messing with the ins and outs of it, so I've learned some stuff in that time. Unfortunately, in the world of Kodi, I still basically know very little. I have ran into problems in the past, but was always able to fix them. Before I continue, I'm not sure what is allowed to be mentioned on here, so I'm sorry if the following is somewhat vague. I will elaborate more if it's needed...

Problem 1) About a month ago, regardless of which addon I tried, none of the live streams would play anymore. So I've been trying to figure it out for a month, but have had no luck. I have tried everything I can think. I click on an item, it acts like it's going to play, but then it just never starts...

Problem 2) This is even worse. All of a sudden today, one of the addons I use everyday (not live streams) just won't open anymore. I had just been using it 1 hour prior to that, and it worked fine. I decided to try another addon, and it didn't work either. I keep getting errors. This happened to 2 addons that I know of so far. A separate third addon still works fine. But I haven't changed anything at all today to make some of them error...

Problem 3) I was thinking that if I wiped Kodi and started fresh, that maybe things would work like they used to. But I know that I will lose addons that are no longer available in repos anymore. And one of those (no longer available) is an addon I use everyday. So I don't know if it would help, but I decided to install Backup Restore Wizard, but I can't even use that! When I click 'Backup and email me my addons,' I receive an error as well. So now I cant even backup...

I have no idea what has happened in the past month, especially in the past day, but I just want my addons to work again. I'm willing to try any suggestions you may have. I would like to avoid wiping it clean, but I will do it as a last resort if I have to. Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Check connection as directed by JNRW above. If you are connected to the net, you can manually back up your setup for later use. Just copy your user_data folder to a usb drive. Now you can delete your Kodi completely and reinstall it. Install an addon that you know works. If that works, restore your user data folder and see if it still works.

Note that restoring might break Kodi again if it is something in your setp that broke Kodi.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for the quick responses!!

I'm 110% sure my connection is good. I'm hardwired, have pretty fast internet, and some addons still work (as well as stuff outside of Kodi)...

As far as the backup method you're talking about, do I literally just save the user_data folder (android>data>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>userdata) and nothing else? And to restore, do I literally just place that fold back into the directory (after Kodi is reinstalled)? Also, should I take the userdata folder, or should I take a folder from the directory prior, meaning the .kodi folder (it seems like it might have pertinent information), but I'm still new to Kodi, so I could be wrong...

Before I continue, will this backup method bring any of the following data back? If not, what will it bring back?
1) Repos I have installed
2) Addons that are still available in repos
3) Addons that are not still available in repos
4) Items I've added to 'Kodi Favourites'
5) Markings indicating shows/seasons/episodes have been watched

Lastly, I understand that restoring might bring my issue back. However, I think it's worth a try before I just completely wipe it all. If it does bring the issue back, then I'll just start fresh, and hopefully that will fix the 'bug.' I will do the backup/restore as soon as I get a response to this post.

Thanks for any and all further help!!

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
You have hit everything on the head. You don't need to back up .kodi, just the user data folder. Also, if you can clear the cache and thumbs before you backup, it will be that much faster but if you can't, it's no biggie. When you restore, again you've hit it on the head. Just restore the user data in that same location.

First, however, install on addon after your new install of Kodi see if it works. Then restore your user data.

PS. If the addons and repos you are talking about are no longer in existence, it might be time to move on to newer addons.

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
As RavRob said above. But do, do delete the thumbnails as they can build up to a massive file size (5GB for me in my earlier ignorance). It will make restoring that much quicker and the thumbnails will repopulate as you go with minimal delay.

Good luck!

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks a lot. I'll do that later today. Sorry for repeating myself, but before I continue, will this backup method bring any of the following data back? If not, what will it bring back?
1) Repos I have installed
2) Addons that are still available in repos
3) Addons that are not still available in repos
4) Items I've added to 'Kodi Favourites'
5) Markings indicating shows/seasons/episodes have been watched

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
All that you have now will be brought back. But, again, it could also bring back your existing problem.

#4, I believe it will also restore your favorite but with Trakt, you don't need favorite.
#5 I would suggest you create a Trakt account at Trakt.tv and link your accoung to your addons (if you can do it). Trakt will keep your watch status as well as all the shows/movies in your library.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
RavRob, JMRW... I know a lot of people never update posts after they solve their problem. So I just wrote out a long response explaining what I wound up doing, amd thanking you. Unfortunately, that long response didn't actually post on this page, and it's too long for me to retype. Long story short, I was able to do a partial backup, and save my Favourites, Sources, and some settings. I didn't meed to use the User Data folder. I started Kodi fresh, installed a few of the main addons I use, and everything is now working perfectly!! I also created a Trakt account, so I will never lose my watched history.
Thanks again!!

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the feedback, which is very useful.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
I know it's not important, but I just realized I made a few spelling mistakes in my last post. But one that I do think is important, is people's names, and I misspelled yours. Sorry about that JNRW!

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
I know it's not important, but I just realized I made a few spelling mistakes in my last post. But one that I do think is important, is people's names, and I misspelled yours. Sorry about that JNRW!
No bother at all! But your politeness is appreciated.