Has anyone got a Minix NEO z64??

OsabaMark

Aug 19, 2012
Hi there,

Have been thinking about getting one of these, BUT looking on the Minix forums there seem to be lots of problems. I don't know whether to think there is a high proportion of dodgy devices or if people only go online when they have sth to complain about.

So basically I'd like to know if any of you are happy satisfied NEO z64 owners.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Hi there,

Have been thinking about getting one of these, BUT looking on the Minix forums there seem to be lots of problems. I don't know whether to think there is a high proportion of dodgy devices or if people only go online when they have sth to complain about.

So basically I'd like to know if any of you are happy satisfied NEO z64 owners.
I don't have a z64 but i do have a minix x8-h plus.

You are right that there would appear to be problems with the z64 on the forums but i think that is a very small minority of people who are probably not doing things correctly.

there are also similar reports for the x8-h plus but i can assure you it works absolutely fine. As with many other forums, this one included, it seems lots of people lack the basic courtesy of at least trying to look through the forums for their alleged issues and just jump straight in with a " this dosen't work " or the like.

My own experience with Minix is very positive and the team over there are very proactive with their help.

I would say go for it...... or the minix x8-h plus !

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
If you get the z64w it will come with windows on it then you can install a dual operating system rom on it that will give you both Windows and android. This is documented over at freaktab.

Just something to think about.

I used to own an x8h myself, it was a good machine, the minix forum has alot of folks that are trying to use these boxes for exotic playback and they are the ones with the problems.
If you just use xbmc for simple streaming all should be fine with a z64w or w. Minix does like to provide good support you can't take that away from them.

GavinCampbell

Oct 30, 2014
I have the z64w. Great unit. Runs perfect, had no problems streaming any of my video over the wifi.

It comes with Win 8.1 w Bing installed. Which is like Win 8.1 home. Missing features such as allowing remote desktop. However I was able to upgrade to 8.1 pro. Drivers were provided in the Minix forums. Also, it only supports the 32bit OS. No 64bit drivers available. But thats no big deal.

The IR port also does not work with windows. Thats just the way it is. You will have to install a dongle like FLIRC or something cheaper form Amazon (I got a MCE remote dongle) and they work fine.

Also if you search youtube there are videos on how to conver the z64a to the z64w. Its basically just swapping the bios and installing the OS. This may save you some money. It looks pretty easy and I wish I found it before I bought the z64w.

OsabaMark

Aug 19, 2012
To be honest, the Windows version doesn't really appeal to me. I'm a lot more familiar with apps that work well on Android phones.

Cheers for the replies, I basically want to watch live football and series /movies

felixstowe

Jan 4, 2013
I think you could do a lot worse than the Minix x8h plus. i got one a couple of weeks ago, updated the firmware, loaded kodi (latest stable) and away it went. Wireless connection is fine (speedtest gives me a constant 65/70 download) and i can steam 1080 films without any buffering.
I had purchased a new matricom q box (price is about the same) but to be honest it was a great disappointment. They have real problems with firmware and the box just isnt performing anything like it should. (shame really as i used to have the g bo mx2 midnight which worked well).
In conclusion i would recommend the minix box over the matricom one, its well made and performs really well.

OsabaMark

Aug 19, 2012
In the end I got the Minix NEO z64 Android, so far so good, much faster then my old Apple Tv2. Takes a bit of getting used to the A2Lite controller though.