Has anyone had a Kodi skin go FUBAR?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Just trying to figure out what happened...

To give some back story, I had a highly customized Aeon Nox skin that I tweaked over the last give or take 6 months to what I wanted... It's been flawless up until this week... I have an 8 week rolling backup of my Kodi configurations so I can always roll back to several points if I don't like something...

This week Kodi unexpectedly crashed, black screen and the normal 'recovery' methods would not restore it, the best it would do is bring up a off color partial version of the Aeon Nox skin void of any menus or functionality and lock up...

So I went back to a clean slate, installed a virgin copy of Kodi and attempted to restore one of my saves... That worked for only a minute or two until it for some reason starts a massive 'update' of several things then crashes again... I was able to sort of get it stable again by launching a restore without internet and changing back to the default Confluence skin and then allowing it to do it's inclined updates... So I'm inclined to believe it's partially skin related, but, even this didn't fully fix the issue as I'm still having problems with it shutting down/crashing randomly now and some add-ons like Ex**us are only partially working and missing a ton of content and failing to sync properly with my trakt.tv collections anymore (SA*TS still syncs and functions perfect)... It really makes little sense to me as a clean virgin install of Kodi and a known good restore point should bring me back up, but it's not...

So I'm left to build it from scratch again at this point, just curious if others have had similar experiences with it just going FUBAR all the sudden...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
I have had a similar experience and I too use Aeon Nox Black screens on both my windows machine and my android box. My windows version will lag a bit when I scroll through the home screens I attributed this to my pcs memory being close to maxed out due to my large video library but I dont know. A reboot normally fixes my problems. Sometimes my android box will just die completely power down and when I start it back up it will be a first run of SPMC but I think this is caused by me having it linked to my SD card. I have to go into Link2SD plus and relink. to load my build.

Meep I know your well knowledged on kodi and and probably already know this but why even bother with a recovery? problems could have been present in the your saved recovery. Over time stuff breaks add-ons get updated dependencies change or get out of whack and I'm sure there is a bunch of unnecessary stuff that gets saved as well just taking up space. I too have a pretty extensive build homepage shortcuts to my video library (Movies, TV Shows, and Workouts) add-on shortcuts to Ex**us and whitecreme and app shortcuts to Netflix Hulu and Pandora. For each homepage 10 total I think I have several pictures backgrounds menu shortcuts and default actions. I changed the main Gravity background to a Kodi background. Ex**us is linked to Trakt and IMDB and Kodi setting link both my devices through UPnP. All this stuff and it only takes take me about an hour to set up and to be honest its kind of fun. As you mentioned I suggest you do a complete rebuild and see if the problem persists. and dont have too much fun doing it.:)

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Meep I know your well knowledged on kodi and and probably already know this but why even bother with a recovery?
Simply because I like my build the way it is and don't want to have to spend the time rebuilding it if I don't have to... I do regularly 'clean' my build and add-ons to keep it running smoother...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Simply because I like my build the way it is and don't want to have to spend the time rebuilding it if I don't have to... I do regularly 'clean' my build and add-ons to keep it running smoother...
Yeah I get that perfectly understandable I don't do a total rebuild often just when I'm super bored or its necessary sounds like in your case its necessary. Oh and I agree with you Im curious about the black screen thing we are both experiencing Im sure we aren't the only ones. I wonder if Aeon Nox is breaking in some way hope not I love the skin.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I had it once with Mimic, all the home screen customisations were gone all of a sudden, didn't have the black screen thing though. That sounds to me like a corrupt guisettings.xml.

What I did was to just restore the mimic addon & userdata folders and the guisettings.xml from backups. Restarted it & all was back to normal. As the old saying goes 'always backup your work' :)

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
What I did was to just restore the mimic addon & userdata folders and the guisettings.xml from backups. Restarted it & all was back to normal. As the old saying goes 'always backup your work' :)
As I stated, I have a rolling 8 weeks worth of backups, so I have 8 known good restore points to work with, but when I restore to one of those points a new update upon launch takes the entire thing right back down, unless I immediately switch to the default Confluence skin before the updates come down, the cause of the crashing appears to r****** primarily around the Aeon skin...

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I'm not sure what you have updating on every start, sounds like you're replacing the whole Kodi folder rather than just the skin folders & guisettings.xml? I don't really see why that wouldn't work, if it doesn't I'd be having a look in the old log for clues.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I'm not sure what you have updating on every start, sounds like you're replacing the whole Kodi folder rather than just the skin folders & guisettings.xml? I don't really see why that wouldn't work, if it doesn't I'd be having a look in the old log for clues.
Tried it both ways, this is why it's confusing to me... I simply can't figure out why a known good save point from literally last week is no longer working...

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Yep, very strange, I don't suppose the log would really give you much of an idea either. Bizarre.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Tried it both ways, this is why it's confusing to me... I simply can't figure out why a known good save point from literally last week is no longer working...
Just a stab in the air, but he about disabling addons from updating automatically? And then try them one at a time after you restore your skin. Because it sounds like an update one of the addons the skin us using is causing your issue. But it's just a stab in the dark.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'm guessing it's a guisettings.xml problem.

If it were me I'd first make sure I had a full backup then try deleting the guisettings.xml from your userdata folder after the skin problem occurs (hopefully you know how to do this remotely ssh or ftp).

I know there were changes to the skinning engine for Jarvis so the skin customization are now saved in the addon_data/ skin folder
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/92c64e581557dd4cfc2760183ed9bb31e8f90001
however the main guisettings.xml file is still used for all the view modes etc.

It's purely a guess but maybe a addon you have has had an update to be compatible with krypton, which intern. messes with the guisettings.xml

If you do try this obviously make sure you have a backup and you may need to RE-select your skin.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Well I finally called it a day, even my patched up version that was sort of stable but not perfect all the sudden starting to black screen and lock up on a regular basis over the last two days... I really wish I knew what was causing it to crash but I'm done searching for now, wrote down all my add-ons and built it from scratch today on a clean install one repo and one add-on at a time... The skin still needs to be dialed in as it's pretty plain and I but I'm hoping the crashing is fixed and it's not one of the add-ons doing it...