Has anyone moved on from the PI and not regretted it

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Now I have mine working as I want it with xbmc I am amazed by how many friends and family would now be interested in one. However is there anything better ?

I see a number of android based devices coming out, how are these ?
Are they an better ? Are they faster ?

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Looked at the OUYA but the price sort of puts it at the very bottom of the options list

I was thinking more of some of the android devices etc that seem to have come out, many of them for under the price of a Pi (even here in the UK)

The Linux XBMC MyGica 510B has my interest at moment

From the web site

Single-core Amlogic M3 box with Linux XBMC pre-installed. Boots direct into Linux XBMC and is fully compatible with all XBMC plugins. Virtually all media formats can be played including 1080p and 5.1 HD-audio. 1GB RAM. 4GB flash. Built in Wi-Fi and LAN. 3x USB, 1x micro-SD ports.
Thinking if for that price they out perform the PI and can do the same as what I do with my PI (which is just XBMC) then I may sell my PI on and get something more dedictaed

shanewilliams

Sep 16, 2012
As uMOuch mentioned it all comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use the device for. When I first bought my raspberry pi, I was excited to try OE. After a short amount of time I just decided to stick with my ATV 2s that I have and use the Pi for when I am traveling for work. IMO for the price, the Pi can't be beat for the weary traveling worker wanting to watch something other then the basic cable the hotel offers!

sickboy

Mar 13, 2013
To answer the op's query - I have moved on from an rpi and I do NOT regret it. I am about to move on from my atv2's as well should Ouya get their sh!t together. Would love to see a Media Center remote and of course an official Netflix app.

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
I bought a rpi to tinker with because someone had a spare. At the time I owned an Apple TV 2. I recently sold it on eBay cos I bought the Ouya to replace it (ATV2). The Ouya has since broken on me and i'm back to using my rpi and it's working great. Not quite as good as the Ouya but it does the job and I can use my media center remote with it. Very rarely any problems streaming anything.

ute

Dec 16, 2012
I have tried Android, HTPC, ATV2

Always go back to the Pi ...quick, easy,..just does what it is supposed to do ..the remote is flawless , as fast as ATV with USB 3.0

inz

Aug 25, 2013
Please can someone tell me - with regards to using xbmc, in what ways is ouya better?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Not so many regards to XBMC, it is a games console afterall so the things to point out is playing it has a store and you can side load ordinary android apps.
Regarding XBMC for now there are some issues you need to be aware of if you are a audio/videophile.
Or play a lot of 50 HZ PAL content.

Post 4 from the other thread is excellent for XBMC only.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Dunkle: give them the same as you; a pi, I'm sure they will be very happy the advantages being extremely proven, stable, (probably has the best version of XBMC out there ATM) and cheap. If you want to buy them android wait, unless you want to constantly update them and have them on the phone. :)

If you want to spend a little more money Post 4 from other thread again.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I have tried Android, HTPC, ATV2

Always go back to the Pi ...quick, easy,..just does what it is supposed to do ..the remote is flawless , as fast as ATV with USB 3.0
I can add iPad and android tablets, and because of the native TV remote, real 3d support, flawless digital audio, extreme low power etc.. It also repeats to be the preferred device in my living room even though its standing on top of a very quick HTPC with SSD.

It even runs some pretty comprehensive skins just as fast as confluence if they are coded properly.
Amber/arctic.mkii being some of them.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163360
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170954 (make sure to get texture.xbt and the git version)

That being said I really really like to explore the Ouya, and the Linux devices/android with Linux. So I can get involved and help out where I can. Finances are low ATM though that's why I humbly ask your help. :)

Last edited:

inz

Aug 25, 2013
Not so many regards to XBMC, it is a games console afterall so the things to point out is playing it has a store and you can side load ordinary android apps.
Regarding XBMC for now there are some issues you need to be aware of if you are a audio/videophile.
Or play a lot of 50 HZ PAL content.

Post 4 from the other thread is excellent for XBMC only.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

FoneFreak

Aug 27, 2013
just to add:

I have had almost all xbmc devices from mk808b/rk3188/mx2 etc etc nearly anything worthwhile having.

so far Ouya is proberbly the fastest xbmc device I have had, in saying that the mx2 was and EXCELLENT device for the price and run xbmc great. I dont know why people bother with mk808b/mk809 etc etc etc you ideally want a device you can switch on and off and preferably has ethernet socket etc

In staying on topic, I have recently purchased a rasbperry pi and must say it is a VERY impressive device for the price. it plays 1080p without breaking a sweat, has HDMI-CEC support so you can control with your tv!, and if you follow the great guides on here and set it up to use USB and possible overclock to at least normal or fast etc it is A GREAT CHOICE!

Mcord

Nov 30, 2012
I have considered setting up some friends and family with PIs but in the end with many of the sources for popular add ons not consistently working (for me at least) I think they would ultimately struggle to use it

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
I have considered setting up some friends and family with PIs but in the end with many of the sources for popular add ons not consistently working (for me at least) I think they would ultimately struggle to use it
Agreed, I see XBMC as a lifestyle choice, if your not willing to put in a little time to learn about the scene then your simply not worthy. Unless your my folks or sister of course :)