Have I Just Wasted My Money? (IPVanish)

alecwa

Feb 28, 2016
Hi.

So, I got a little excited after getting an MXQ Quad Core Android 4.4 TV Box. I'm hoping maybe someone can help me understand whether I'm going wrong somewhere or I've just gone down the wrong path.

I got myself set up with my TV box, Kodi working etc., then swiftly thought "best get a VPN on that bad boy", and read in a few places IPVanish is the best VPN for Kodi users. I then bought it and slapped it on my laptop and phone. It looked spot on. I then went to look up how to install it and use with my TV box/Kodi, but this didn't seem to work for me.
I found an article on how to set it up using OpenElec, but I receive an error every time I try to configure it, and when I downloaded IPVanish Android app you can only launch it, connect to a server, then watch it... be connected... Once you leave the app it disconnects.

Am I being a noob or is there not actually a way of setting my IPVanish account up on this box?

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
have tried this before on same box, once you open app and pick your country and start the vpn it should stay running in the background.

alecwa

Feb 28, 2016
Yep. That's what I thought would happen. But when you exit the app it actually says 'this will disconnect you'. Which makes it one of the most pointless things I've ever seen!

noz

Feb 1, 2014
Asgard
Try pressing the home button on your remote and see if it still shuts down. By doing this you aren't technically backing out of the app.

alecwa

Feb 28, 2016
Noz, you are a wonderful person! As if it was that simple!
Now I feel a wee bit silly...