Have you cancelled your cable TV subscription yet?

Have you cancelled your cable TV subscription yet?

• Yes

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Under Consideration

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finch

Jun 6, 2015
I cancelled Netflix a couple of months ago thanks to genesis. I still keep my "borrowed" Verizon login for access to HBO Go so I can watch game of thrones at release time.

I would love access to a kodi add-on that has the Australian football streams. Would happily pay for that!

Synik

Jan 1, 2013
NYC
Cut the cable just about 2 years ago. I use my browser to stream local news in the morning which was really the only I missed. My only beef is with Comcast, since I now have to pay a premium price for internet only. It's still less than half of my old cable package. But I have gotten really spoiled now - I can't tolerate the constant commercials when watching regular TV at friends' houses. It makes me crazy!

Last edited:

Highcroft

Jun 2, 2015
Not cancelled yet but deffo will do in August when the contract finishes, most of the channels I never seem to watch anyway so won't be a big loss

nico1973

Feb 23, 2014
County Durham, England
Cancelled my Sky about a 18 months ago. 6 months after finding Kodi (XBMX then). I don't have much time to sit and watch a programme when it is on live, so I used to SKy+ everything and watch late on. So Kodi is ideal for me. The kids complained a bit but now they are loving Kodi and all the apps.

Even like watching TV series which are not on Sky yet like Banshee Season 3

I have even bought several Android boxes for people and introduced them to this site and the addons and they are now thinking about cancelling Sky.

tnvolunteer

Aug 17, 2014
Happy to say, I have been free of cable TV services for 5 years now. Once my wife saw the local news channels in HD with Off-Air antenna arrangement, we went cordless with ATV2 and recently moved over to FTV. We are loving the transition to 1080p on Genesis offerings. Kiss the cable services and the annoying commercials that come with it GOOD-BYE. The Kodi/TVAddon packages are similar to Netflix and Primetime, except on massive dose of steroids.

Friffy1

May 18, 2013
I got rid of Comcast about 2 years ago. It was difficult because of my family. My kids got used to XBMC very quickly. My wife took more convincing. So over the course of a couple of months, I kept lowering and lowering our cable package forcing her to slowly start watching her shows on XBMC. Eventually, she watched nothing via cable, and that's when I canceled. The kicker there is, my internet service got little more expensive at that point. But I decided I'm buying something with that extra money... a message to Comcast that their video service is too costly and I'm not going to pay it.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Netflix. I've got to cancel that subscription, huh! I think my kids still use it here and there.

harveyw

Jun 10, 2015
I am new here and also on Kodi and after a bit of playing with my new Gica 1800E I am getting a lot of good stuff.I have not had cable TV for years and am now telling my friends about Kodi and if a 91 year old guy like me can do it they should all buy an android box and cut cable.I hope to learn a few advanced tricks from all you young guys.

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Don't know exactly how long it's been, but I think close to 6-7 years. For a while it was mainly using PlayOn and Netflix on WD TV boxes as I didn't really know how to get XBMC to my TV. It did okay for the most part, but then as add-ons started to drop off, it was getting a bit more annoying to use. With the RPi2 and OpenElec I can integrate PlayOn (was no need to get rid of since it's a one time license fee), which I still use a lot for sports, and Netflix (via PlayOn) as the fam still likes the Netflix layout and at $8/mth, it's still a very good deal.

edge

Aug 9, 2013
still got saterlite for the sport, use it for little else these days, why watch movies when they want you to, when you can watch what you want when you want with kodi.
would give it up all together if sports streaming was a bit more reliable,

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
Only pay for broadband but have full cable access :) although very rarely watch it unless football match I want to see is on. Cancelled a few years ago when I discovered the content available via Kodi.

Last edited:

PjJns

May 13, 2015
Cord Cutter Here

I am officially a cord cutter. When I had cable the rising cost did concern me, but primarily the service was great. That is until a well known telephone company bought them out then it went to crap! Ok, back to the great part, now that I am an XBMC/Kodi convert I see that it was all crap anyway. We were charged premium prices with limits imposed on what we were allowed to watch. WOW ya'll, this is just like the Matrix, those of us who have been freed from big cable need to tell the others who are still attached to the cord.
But what angers me most is that just like big tobacco getting into vaping, big cable getting into streaming. I hope they can't ever take over completely again. Wish there was a way to stop them period!

Last edited:

Macdonlj

Jun 9, 2014
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I have cancelled it. But am a bit annoyed with the "no stream available" messages. It sometimes take a dozen or so sources to find one that works. Also, very annoyed with the buffering issues which happen constantly. The only way it works without buffering is to let it stream on pause until the end of the program. Does anyone know how to solve these issues?

roach46

Nov 24, 2014
I have cancelled it. But am a bit annoyed with the "no stream available" messages. It sometimes take a dozen or so sources to find one that works. Also, very annoyed with the buffering issues which happen constantly. The only way it works without buffering is to let it stream on pause until the end of the program. Does anyone know how to solve these issues?
clear your cache, purg packages

Treetop

Nov 4, 2013
I have cut the cord completely. But I do really miss sports. Others have said Spo*ts De*il works for them, but I've never been able to get it to perform reliably. Most streams look really bad and the ones that don't frequently buffer. It's just not a good solution for me. Football Today is really great, but the games are already over by the time I get to them.

I'd love a reliable way to watch Baseball. I tried a month of the MLB streaming service, but I couldn't get the addons to work and the Fire TV app for it was really quite terrible for live games. I'm just kinda stuck without until something better shows up.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
There are plenty of addon developers of good quality streams about. Unfortunatley at one time or another they may have fallen foul of the rules of this site and so cannot be mentioned.
Putting aside what some may think they are generally stable, reliable and offer an alternative. At the end of the day it is your choice what you watch and how you do it. I use a combination of paid subscription and free streaming addons from alternative sources and add ons.

sdiaz483

Jun 28, 2015
western civ
ditch the coax!

I've been browsing what is offered in kobi Yes definitely I will be canceling my cable. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.