Help figuring out fanart.tv issue

Cha0s

Oct 1, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new to Kodi and streaming but I hope I'll learn more in the near future.

I joined this forum hopping someone can help me figure out an issue I have encountered recently.

I am using Kodi 17.6 on Android and noticed that all video addons I install are really slow while browsing thorugh categories. For example, if I install Ex**us and I enter Tv Shows section and after that Most Popular it starts loading for about 120 seconds or even more. I started digging a bit and actually found out that the reason for this is the Ex**us plugin querying for fanart on the fanart.tv service and all requests fail with 401 error code.

I told myself I do not need fanart and browsing fast is more important to me so I tried to disable fanart option in the plugin settings. However this did not turn out to work as the plugin continued to query for the fanart for each item in the category and all requests ended up failing with 401 error code. The entire process takes a lot of time and you end up waiting 2 minutes just to enter a section of the plugin.

I than started experimenting with fanart.tv api's , I created a personal api after that I created a project api .. nothing worked.

This happens with all video addons that have fanart.tv option integrated and to be honest I haven't found any that doesn't have it.

Has anyone any ideea why this is happening and what can be done to stop the plugins to query for farnart ?

Thanks

• Surprised
Reactions: capslock

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I don't think you can stop it from querying Fanart.tv from the settings. Maybe by editing the addon itself but I am not a dev and know nothing this possibility.
If you don't enter your API in the addon, the addon will keep getting fanart from the site but could be slower since it is used by tons of ppl. If you use your own API, it should be faster but still has to access the site to get the fanart.
I guess a lot of the speed depends on your internet speed, the speed of your device (how much RAM and free RAM). 2 minutes wait time on a Fire Stick might be average but way too long is you are using a Shield. The speed depends on many things unfortunately.

Cha0s

Oct 1, 2019
Hi RavRob,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the problem is that each query fails with 401 error code (with or without the API) although fanart is always displayed in Kodi. Because of the 401 error code it takes about 5-10 seconds per item (fanart image) and it sends them sequentially so at the end the waiting time is quite long. Basically one image waits for the previous one to load (fail in this case) and I would imagine that if no 401 error code would be returned from the webservice the waiting time wouldn't be that long.