Help please, only getting 2.0 not 5.1

Kingkong_82

Feb 8, 2015
When playing anything from show_box, Pho*nix, cartoon hd or genesis, I only seem to get sound in 2.0 not 5.1.

I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi connected to Onkyo AVR (5.1, dts, DD etc) via hdmi. Kodi is set to 5.1 with pass through. When playing files from hard drive it's fine, it picks up whatever audio format the file has. It's just a problem when playing files from the addons.

Thanks in advance! I'm a noob btw.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Are you sure the movies you are playing are 5.1 audio? If you are using a keyboard with your Pi, press the O key, and it will give you the codecs of the movie you are playing.

Kingkong_82

Feb 8, 2015
Are you sure the movies you are playing are 5.1 audio? If you are using a keyboard with your Pi, press the O key, and it will give you the codecs of the movie you are playing.
Thanks for the reply. I tried pressing "o", and nothing happened. When I press the enter button on Yatse, the menu and info screen appears, and it shows details of resolution and sound. When playing a file from the hard drive it shows 1080p dolby digital 5.1. When playing files from the addons, it shows 1080p 2.0. And it sounds awful.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Not all streams are 5.1
Change the audio mode on your amp.
Some of the settings on my onkyo do a reasonable job.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I tried pressing "o", and nothing happened. When I press the enter button on Yatse, the menu and info screen appears, and it shows details of resolution and sound. When playing a file from the hard drive it shows 1080p dolby digital 5.1. When playing files from the addons, it shows 1080p 2.0. And it sounds awful.
If it's showing 1080p and 2.0 audio, that means the file you are playing, is only 2.0 audio. Go to Pho*nix, Demon88, 1080p movies, and play any of those movies. They are all 5.1 audio.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
the vast majority of streams are only ever 2.0
5.1 streams are very rare
for movies, the only place you see them as a cert is as lenniepaz says

for TV, then its only really Ic*f*lms > MovReel streams under Genesis that I see them

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
the vast majority of streams are only ever 2.0
5.1 streams are very rare
for movies, the only place you see them as a cert is as lenniepaz says

for TV, then its only really Ic*f*lms > MovReel streams under Genesis that I see them
N*vi X has an entire 1080p 5.1 section from MorePower. Just look under Most Recently Updated in the N*vi X main menu. The OneClickWatch addon, also has AC3 5.1 movies, but the are 720p.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
N*vi X has an entire 1080p 5.1 section from MorePower. Just look under Most Recently Updated in the N*vi X main menu. The OneClickWatch addon, also has AC3 5.1 movies, but the are 720p.
Cheers
Unaware of this one, not used Navi - X in ages so will look it up

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Cheers
Unaware of this one, not used Navi - X in ages so will look it up
I'm a movie snob, so I won't watch anything, unless it's 1080p and 5.1 audio. I searched all through every addon to find out who has them in their addon. I have thousands of dollars invested in A/V equipment, so there's no way I'm watching a non HD movie with 2.0 audio. That's like putting Regular fuel in a Porsche.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
I'm a movie snob, so I won't watch anything, unless it's 1080p and 5.1 audio. I searched all through every addon to find out who has them in their addon. I have thousands of dollars invested in A/V equipment, so there's no way I'm watching a non HD movie with 2.0 audio. That's like putting Regular fuel in a Porsche.
snap
same here, never really bothered with movie streams as never found 1080p and 5.1 so thanks for the links ]

some good films on that Pho*nix link

let me know if find any 4k 5.1 stuff :) not paying amazon or netflix and watched those that came with tv

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
snap
same here, never really bothered with movie streams as never found 1080p and 5.1 so thanks for the links ]

some good films on that Pho*nix link

let me know if find any 4k 5.1 stuff :) not paying amazon or netflix and watched those that came with tv
I don't think we'll see any 4k anytime soon. Those movies are probably close to 100GB in size. I held off on a 4K TV because there is so little content. Until Comcast starts broadcasting in 4K, I'll stick with my 1080p TV.