Help required total newbie all the gear nee idea

floss2864

Aug 10, 2014
Hi got M8 quad core 2 days ago new to all this was supposedly fully loaded, had some stuff working but others don't load such as Pri**wire and Spo*ts De*il, noticed the mouse on the remote doesn't work, so found it difficult to search for stuff, changed some settings and got the on board keyboard to work through the remote because it never when i 1st tried it, but still cannot get a mouse pointer on screen, well thats the least of my problems now, because the thing has crashed and it says "reboot system now", but it wont, i have an OK button on my remote that is the select or accept button but this does not work, i have unplugged the mains because it has no on/off button on the box and the power on/off on the remote doesn't turn it off. when i reconnect the power supply it just comes back on with the same message "reboot system now"
so how am i supposed to reboot it now HELP PLEASE

Last edited:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Fully loaded means he used out installer... LoDed our stuff. Added some uhh unwanted, banned, content...LOL.

RETURN AND REFUND the box. Order and Amazon Fire for 99, an OUYA for 89, OR A TRANSMART VEGA S89 FOR 100 AND COME BACK. I will tell you how to do this all the right/real way.

What price did unheard sell this "m8" for?

enen92

Dec 13, 2012
Portugal
Fully loaded means he used out installer... LoDed our stuff. Added some uhh unwanted, banned, content...LOL.

RETURN AND REFUND the box. Order and Amazon Fire for 99, an OUYA for 89, OR A TRANSMART VEGA S89 FOR 100 AND COME BACK. I will tell you how to do this all the right/real way.

What price did unheard sell this "m8" for?
Despite this being probably correct I think that's not the case (and rarely it is) and you don't have any control of what software the user has installed nor their versions. One thing is saying: I installed xbmc, loaded the hub wizard (which I don't agree with but huh..) and something is not working. Another is saying "I bought a box fully loaded" and something is not working. No control/no info/too many variables to trace/high probably of addons not supported here.

People should learn to use xbmc the hard way, adding 3rd party repos and install the addons they want from the repositories. Making stuff easier for noobs is not always the best way for a user to learn and for him to have a notion of the differences between xbmc (the software) and the hub (3rd party addons).

Best regards

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
What do you mean it rarely is? I know for a fact that many to most eBay sellers use the WIZARD TOOL to preload their devices and then sell. I have spoken with hundreds of these sellers about that very thing. They OFTEN load with our tools and then hand pick 3 or 4 banned add-ons and sell the box.

This by far the most common thing with android box sales... They even mention us in their descriptions. Then they leave frustrated users to come here.

I am happy to have them here... But I hate the experience provided by 80% or second hand resellers.

enen92

Dec 13, 2012
Portugal
It rarely is = what you said. They may run the hubwizard but they add also another addons (some from the org forum others from sites banned here) . And, you don't know of any other configuration they might have done. I can easily buy a box, run the hubwizard today, disable automatic updates and sell the box in november. Probability of the user receiving the box having the addons working when he bought it = 20%.

The user who buys the box have no idea of what has been done in terms of configuration, just by this simple fact the seller is the one who should provide help and support.

floss2864

Aug 10, 2014
Hi Showgun i paid £61.25 plus £8.75 delivery so will be out of pocket £8.75 wont be paying return postage not my fault its broken.

newbie to xbmc and newbie to forums so play nicely with me please

Last edited:

enen92

Dec 13, 2012
Portugal
Certainly we are :)
Which leads to: floss2864 uninstall xbmc and remove all data associated with the application. Install xbmc again, install the addons you want (or run the wizard) and in case of problems ask for help in the respective addon thread or wizard thread.

floss2864

Aug 10, 2014
Just jumped back on my ebay account and low and behold i've had 2 messages, funny they state don't work weekends but they sure do when they get a case opened on them. looking good now refunding all monies and arranging pick up, they did ask if i just wanted it replaced but i think ill take your advise and buy from amazon and return here to be educated by Sensai Showgun if thats alright with you ? Showgun
regards
Floss

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Hi Showgun i paid £61.25 plus £8.75 delivery so will be out of pocket £8.75 wont be paying return postage not my fault its broken.

You can demand the seller pay return shipping AND your original shipping cost. EBay will help you do that. You should not pay for delivery of a faulty machine. If you want to buy a new one a are willing to have me teach you some cool stuff.... LEARNING XBMC like a boss... PM me and I'll help you out. Better yet start a new thread and I'll help you out. We can create a thread introducing xbmc from the point of hardware purchase all the way through addons and skinning ;) if interested

Last edited:

damac10

Apr 11, 2014

Just for clarity. A M8 Android Box for 61.25 pounds is the standard price for that device without XBMC installed. Most likely the box came with XBMC installed from the Chinese factory as is common and the seller inferred that he/she has 'fully loaded' it for faster sales. My assumption is that the M8 you bought was the square 'tomato' s802 Android box. That box requires a firmware update for XBMC to work perfectly which you can download for free at Geekbuying dotcom. The real problem is people are buying all these Android boxes without doing research. All box makers are claiming they can run XBMC etc but many require alot of work to function correctly. I will also be more than happy assist when your new box arrives.

Capri

Banned
Jun 24, 2014
You have got into recovery mode somehow. Use the button on your remote which has 3 horizontal lines. That works as select in the recovery menu. As for the mouse pointer you need to press the mouse button then use up, down, left and right to move the cursor.
I would suggest investing in an airmouse. The remote packaged with the m8 sucks.

Leicesterfan

Jun 4, 2014
You can demand the seller pay return shipping AND your original shipping cost. EBay will help you do that. You should not pay for delivery of a faulty machine. If you want to buy a new one a are willing to have me teach you some cool stuff.... LEARNING XBMC like a boss... PM me and I'll help you out. Better yet start a new thread and I'll help you out. We can create a thread introducing xbmc from the point of hardware purchase all the way through addons and skinning ;) if
interested
I'd certainly be interested in that thread. I've been thinking for a while about buying a cheap generic quad core and having a go at installing from scratch.

irishgrumpy

Jul 18, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I did same. Bought a quadcore 4.4.2 android tv box, not from e-bay, but a Chinese supplier. Arrived no problems with a few apps installed including XBMC.

Removed what I did not want, downloaded Chrome as I like it, removed the installed XBMC and re-installed it from XBMC.org with Fusion.
Used Fusion and the XBMC add-on installer. Works fine and no regrets with purchase.

Used u tube for info, a huge amount of help there.

floss2864

Aug 10, 2014
thanks for all the advice people much appreciated. update to my situation is full refund today, Happy Camper again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Computers 6
R Music Addons 6
Y Video Addons 0