help setting up vpn with privateinternetaccess

srandall47

Dec 18, 2013
Hi all
Have just tried setting up a vpn with privateinternetaccess as shown on the xbmc hub,followed all instructions but when i click anything (1Ch**nel,Ic*f*lms etc) xbmc can't find anything,no internet access through xbmc,just had a online chat with an privateinternetaccess support team member and he's saying it can't be done the way its being shown on the xbmchub.
Any help would be great
Thanks in advance

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
For your laptop it should be very simple. Download the windows VPN app here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/ it should the put an icon on your desktop (it's green and looks the same as the private internet access logo). Double click the icon. First off it should ask for your login details. Do all that and then down in the system tray (by the clock on your laptop) there should be a red icon. It should be red then go green. To change the server location right click on the icon, disconnect and then right to reconnect to a server of your choice.

With your android device it depends which one it is. Can you let me know. Basically there's a private internet app on the playstore (it's called VPN priviate internet access ) download this and then open it on your device. Put in your login details then click on the server location to change. Always remember to disconnect from the current server before connecting to a new one. Here's the app on the playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android&hl=en_GB

srandall47

Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for the help,all up and running on android device,set it up through the internet settings of the device,nice to have 1Ch**nel back,got to sort the laptop now,how come the way its shown on the hub is not working?.

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
Where does it show it on the HUB ?, I'll have a look. Most of the guides are device specific, so maybe that's why ??? I've been using PIA without any problems for a few months now and mostly were relatively simple to install. The only one there is problems with and this would be for any VPN is with the Apple TV as this has no VPN client in it, so its got to be used in conjunction with a Mac or put onto a suitable router that allows VPN's

My laptop was the first one that I set up and was relatively simple. The only thing that "got me" was the fact that you need to disconnect from the current server before connecting to a new server location. If you run into anymore problems let me know and i'll try to help as much as I can.

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
From my understanding of the way the VPN works from PIA is that this guide wont work on an android device (something to do with http....beyond my understanding) you need the app for it to work.

I take it you used the app in the end for the Android box? Let me know how you get on with your laptop

srandall47

Dec 18, 2013
sunnex,not my instructions,i was just following the guide given on the website,it seems that way is not going to work,i ended up following the instructions on the privateinternetaccess website.
Hope this helps

sunnex

Mar 16, 2013
I'am using the private internet access on my pc I'm just wondering how can I get it on xbmc so if there is a howto please direct me thanks
"his was guide i tried.http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/12/...using-a-proxy/" I tried this but it does not tell me how to get it on xbmc just ths setup.

blackelvis64

Apr 10, 2013
Hi just wondering can any 1point me in the right direction would like to use a vpn for xbmc I have mx android box but it's been flashed with Linux any any ideas how to do this can it be done in network settings in xbmc or will this not work. Any help would be appreciated thanks

musky10000

Dec 22, 2013
Ok here goes, I currently using osx Mac mini using temporary nightly version for mavericks of xbmc. I have subscribed to private internet access, I have used pia by just connecting to a server in the USA tried xbmc not working then enter the setting directly into internet setting on xbmc correctly and double checked not working but really not sure why. I have a virgin super hub that can't be configured to use VPN so if there is any one that can help with this It would be much appreciated.

barriejohn69

May 26, 2012
I'm trying to do it on an apple tv 2 using the guides but still can't get it working. I am just getting script errors now. Any help appreciated

Hercyboy

Dec 28, 2012
Hi I have a similar setup to you and I have a android box sumvision flashes with Linux xbmc did you work out how to add the VPN to the box ?

rus0906

Jan 7, 2014
Portsmouth uk
Has anyone managed to do this yet thinking of putti g andriod back on my sumvision nano I know the pia app works on tbat through xbmc and all channel back

rekarts

Jan 12, 2014
I have an MX Android TV Box, I have tried all ways suggested and I am trying to use private internet access. I have downloaded the app to the box, I have tried going into the system settings and entering the proxy and I have tried following the private internet access instructions but I am still unable to view 1Ch**nel.
Any help would be greatly appreciated