help with jailbroken apple 1 tv no wireless and do i leave usb stick in back of it

oakrad

Sep 6, 2013
just jb apple tv 1 fir 1st time , used usb stick and Crystalbuntu, got it going , but when I unplug enternert cord from back of apple tv , wont work wireless , works with enternet cord in it , how do I get it working wireless ? and do I have to leave the usb stick in back of apple tv to get xbmc , took stick out and xbmc didn't work , any help be great tks .

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
If you bought it second hand with crystalbuntu, it's likely there is NO WIFE. The crystalbuntu build is custom for a CHIP that is added after market enabling 1080p playback. Original the unit only did 720.

The chip REPLACES the wifi chip leaving you with 1080p, but ethernet only

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
when installing cb2 to your apple tv1 you don't have to keep usb stick in when using xbmc. and maybe the wireless card has been removed and replaced with a CHD card, that's why wireless might not work...

oakrad

Sep 6, 2013
how do I check and see if it has wireless card , I bought it used but I put crystalbuntu, on it to jb it , its the 160 g hd apple 1 tv and the person did nothing to it , I updated it to 3.02 to jb ,that was it.

oakrad

Sep 6, 2013
just rembered when I 1st pluged it in , wireless did work on it before I did anything to it , so how do I get wireless back on it now that's it jb ?

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
just rembered when I 1st pluged it in , wireless did work on it before I did anything to it , so how do I get wireless back on it now that's it jb ?
If it is in fact m missing a WiFi card you would need to purchase the correct chip on line. It would be easier to open the box and see what card you have. There are 100s of YouTube videos on how to open the atv1.

You don't need other forums just yet :) we are add still more than capable of answering these questions. I have and have used this hardware/software combo

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
if you said your wireless worked before you installed cb, the wifi card must be in there... NO need to open the box up.... if I remember correctly there's a program in cb2 xbmc called "network manager" either it is installed with cb or you have to install it. when you open network manager look for your wifi user name and click on it then enter your wifi pw and you should have your wifi working again with CB2. that was a common problem peeps were having when installing cb2... you need network manager. it will work. I have had it working that way before I got my Ouya. the Ouya is all I use now....

RE: CB2 - Original Internal Wireless Not working
SSH into your ATV1

Copy and paste in each step 1~5 one at a time.

1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
3. wget hxxp://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3_mipsel.tar.bz2
Replace the x's in hxxp:// with t's
4. tar xfvj broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3_mipsel.tar.bz2
5. sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3/driver/wl_apsta/wl_prebuilt.o
6. reboot
7. Ssh in again,ifconfig should show the new wlan0.
8. Go to System > Add-ons under XBMC.org in Program and install Network-Manager
9. In Programs open Network-Manager and click “Add” you should then see your SSID.
Enter your password. That's it !

Last edited:

oakrad

Sep 6, 2013
alli know it seems like xbmc is just on usb stick , like I said if I put usb stick in apple tv , xbmc works but not wireless ,take out usb stick , I have no xbmc on my apple tv and wireless works , this happened to anyone else

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
alli know it seems like xbmc is just on usb stick , like I said if I put usb stick in apple tv , xbmc works but not wireless ,take out usb stick , I have no xbmc on my apple tv and wireless works , this happened to anyone else
redo your usb stick... when you made up your stick you had 2 options. 1-to run xbmc from usb stick and 2-install xbmc to atv harddrive. if you want to run xbmc without the stick pick option to install to HD.

oakrad

Sep 6, 2013
ya got it going tks for help, have another problem , just did my friends apple 1 tv , works great except cant get wireless on his , did network manger still no wireless , he had wireless before the jb , any idea what prob would be , see in the forms others are having same prob on some apple tv s