Help with "RootMyOUYA" app

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Finally got around to setting up OUYA. It was a bigger hassle than I thought, but probably read too much prior about how easy it is...it took awhile to realize adb wasn't enabled because I saw it under dev options, but then later saw the other screen with adb--on/off and adb WiFi. That took so long I wound up just trying to put the root app on flash drive and installing, but I tried exfat (easiest because I have a Mac), fat32, and ntfs. None of them worked. On one attempt it said file system incompatible, the others said nothing but wouldn't let me mount.(tried reboot w drive, without,etc but nothing)
Finally got adb working and I sideloaded xbmc , Supersu and busybox but the root tool fails every time.
Then I discovered the "upload" option and was happy it uploaded successfully BUT it won't install from the file pawn app I installed nor can I get it to install elsewhere.
Is there a problem with the root tool and the current firmware? Is there another option for rooting? I tried towelroot, I've looked all over but all say use rootmyouya with no further directions. I found one with everything packed together (root, custom recovery, busybox and Supersu) but I'd rather root it then move onto recovery. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I used oneclickroot but actually I had no reason to root it in the first place so I don't know why I ever did that. If I recall there's at least one thread in here about rooting ouyas. I think I may have posted the one click root link, it was a year or three ago, I can hardly remember. Now you got me curious.

There's a lot of information about this on the ouya forum. I was going to post a link but seems I forgot how to code box.

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I used oneclickroot but actually I had no reason to root it in the first place so I don't know why I ever did that. If I recall there's at least one thread in here about rooting ouyas. I think I may have posted the one click root link, it was a year or three ago, I can hardly remember. Now you got me curious.

There's a lot of information about this on the ouya forum. I was going to post a link but seems I forgot how to code box.
That's ok. Thanks Lion. Figured it shortly after posting. Towelroot is the go-to app now. But it's got to be version 2.
All is working as it should. Not that my son needs root privs but should he ever tire of it I could see myself playing around.
Btw, as I said before, he s not that into xbmc ( Netflix & YouTube are all he uses) but I couldn't get ANYTHING to work properly with tvaddons. Tried SPMC, older versions of spmc, Gotham, and xbmc for ouya. All installed fine but add-on installer doesn't work and config wizard gives script error with every version.
*someone should update the root ouya in the stickies. Unless of course they have & I missed it...

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
US of A (Deep Deep South)
Just FYI, I am still using the 'rootmyouya' app from Wonderkin without issue. I also use 'superuser'. I have standalone .apks for both. I mention this because @Klit75 mentioned being unable to find an individual .apk for 'rootmyouya', it sounded like he could only find packs containing it and other apps. I understand towelroot is available but thought I would mention this anyway.

If anyone is interested in the respective apks let me know. :)

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Just FYI, I am still using the 'rootmyouya' app from Wonderkin without issue. I also use 'superuser'. I have standalone .apks for both. I mention this because @Klit75 mentioned being unable to find an individual .apk for 'rootmyouya', it sounded like he could only find packs containing it and other apps. I understand towelroot is available but thought I would mention this anyway.

If anyone is interested in the respective apks let me know. :)
When was the last time you tried it? I scoured through a lot of web pages but from what I recall this is pretty recent (late december I think?)
But rooting is about all I did with ouya so if you confirm that I'll edit my post.

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
When was the last time you tried it? I scoured through a lot of web pages but from what I recall this is pretty recent (late december I think?)
But rooting is about all I did with ouya so if you confirm that I'll edit my post.
Using it presently. I think I lucked out finding an individual .apk for it originally, months ago. No problems with it, also using busybox and superuser without issue.

Doesn't really matter to me wether you edit your posts, just providing input. 😉

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Using it presently. I think I lucked out finding an individual .apk for it originally, months ago. No problems and busybox works fine after rooting Ouya with it. Doesn't really matter to me wether you edit your posts, just providing input. 😉
Well I care if it's bad or incomplete info on my part. Towelroot worked for me, and I'm sure it'll work for anyone with the newest fw but if I knew "rootmyouya" was still valid I wouldn't have labeled it the new method.
...I don't use the ouya. Just had a tough time rooting it.Did the newest update break your root? And then you rerooted with "rootmyouya"? I'm just confused because one of the first things I did was disable updates afterwards... is that not something that ouya users typically do? Just wondering if it's possible for an update to keep root intact while the rooting method gets broken? That's the only thing that makes senseto me after a half a dozen or so attempts...
*I guess if they both work I'll leave it alone. If the method in the stickies is still valid a mod can edit or delete the my post. Thanks .

Edit--sorry I just caught that bit about "original apk" So the ones I grabbed probably didn't apply.

Last edited:

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
Well I care if it's bad or incomplete info on my part. Towelroot worked for me, and I'm sure it'll work for anyone with the newest fw but if I knew "rootmyouya" was still valid I wouldn't have labeled it the new method.
...I don't use the ouya. Just had a tough time rooting it.Did the newest update break your root? And then you rerooted with "rootmyouya"? I'm just confused because one of the first things I did was disable updates afterwards... is that not something that ouya users typically do? Just wondering if it's possible for an update to keep root intact while the rooting method gets broken? That's the only thing that makes senseto me after a half a dozen or so attempts...
*I guess if they both work I'll leave it alone. If the method in the stickies is still valid a mod can edit or delete the my post. Thanks .

Edit--sorry I just caught that bit about "original apk" So the ones I grabbed probably didn't apply.
Actually I would probably leave it. I haven't tried 'towelroot' but it sounds more current and no doubt 'rootmyouya' is dated. I'll have to go check out 'towelroot'. Wasn't arguing that 'rootmyouya' is better, just that it still worked for me. Always good to have a couple options. 😉