Hi, advice on cloning Kodi

halion67

Jun 14, 2015
Hi, I've read through the guide on cloning Kodi, but I'm having a few problems. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out........

1) I have Kodi 15 on my laptop and I use this as the main "hub" for trying out add-ons etc., I have this setup perfectly now for me and I have backed this up to a folder on my desktop.

2) I had hoped to be able to "push" this folder via AGK fire - but even though it says it has "pushed the file" I can't find it on my Amazon Fire TV (this is the device I'm wanting to clone my laptop version of Kodi to).

So.........because of the above issue, I thought I'd try and install my backed up laptop Kodi to my android phone Kodi. Installed a new version of Kodi 15 on my phone, installed the "backup" program but when I try to "restore" (I have the backup file from my laptop on my phone as I was originally wanting to "push" this file) I get a blank grey box stating "Backup - Backup folder name". I have no other option here only to "X" out.

I had hoped this would be relatively straightforward process and I was delighted when I released we could clone Kodi (quite a few friends and family have been asking me to sort out their firesticks etc., for them so I thought this would be a great utility) but the problems above are frustrating.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Banister

Nov 3, 2013
Please don't take what I post as gospel as I'm far from being an expert. I know from experience and a great deal of reading what works for me though. I have a Fire TV and when I first got it I thought I could simply sideload Kodi in it and use the backup I had from my Apple TV (OpenELEC). That wasn't the case unfortunately as the backup wasn't compatable with the Android box.

Here's what you need to do...

Go into the Settings of your Fire TV, go to Systems and look for "Developer Options. Click on that and turn on "ABD Debugging" and "Apps From Unknown Sources". This will allow you to sideload Kodi. While you're in the systems tab look for your IP address. You'll need that for the next step.

Download the latest Kodi here - http://kodi.tv/download/. You need the Andriod "ARM" version which is currently v15.0. Save it to where you'll be able to find it on your laptop.

Get abdFire here - www.jocala.com. Run the program and look for where you put the IP address in and connect.

On the abdFire, click on "Install APK". From there it's just a matter of navigating to where the Kodi apk is on your computer. From past experience it sometimes fails installing, but just try again if that happens. After a bit you should get an installed pop up. The bare bones Kodi is now installed on your Fire TV.

Go to your Fire TV, scroll down to Settings, then over to Applications. Go to the bottom of the list and click on "Manage Installed Applications". You should see a list of apps and scrolling down will take you to Kodi. Click on that and then on "Launch Application. You should now be in Kodi.

Now the next thing I do is go into the System tab > Settings and set things up the way I like. Starting with "Appearance", go down to the bottom and toggle it to "Expert". This will give you more control over the settings. Set up every option you find including Weather, time zone etc. You'll have to fool around in there on your own.

Now you're ready. I won't go into using TVMC because I'm not familiar with it and have always added the fusion source in file manager and install the addons individually from tvaddons.co by repository and then by individual addons. Maybe there's a simplier way now with TVMC, but I only had to do that once followed by backing up. Whenever I do another box I only have to restore to the new box.

In order to do a restore to a new box you will need to get some addons. Go into the Programs tab and click on "Get more...". From there look for "Kodi addon repository" in the Programs folder and install "Backup". Under the General tab, select "Browse Path" and the one below that is where you navigate to where your backups are. Mine is on my 2nd hard drive on my laptop, so I navigate to the folder on my laptop. Set the location where you want backups to be saved to in Configure. Make sure to enable the first 7 choices in the File Selection tab.

You should now be able to see the Backup addon in Programs > "Programs add-ons". Assuming you have a valid backup and it's compatible with the Fire TV, selecting Restore. Like I said though, the Windows backup may not be compatible with the Android system and you may find yourself installing individual repositories and addons. For me I went through the hours and hours of doing this once, but the good news is through doing regular backups I can easily set up a new box very quickly now.

Hope this helps, but like I said, I'm not an expert. If you find yourself needing more explanation etc I'll keep an eye out for that and I'm sure others will too.

halion67

Jun 14, 2015
Many thanks for your reply mate, I appreciate it.

I don't even get far enough on the Amazon Fire TV for it "to know" it is a windows backup I'm trying to restore. It's basically just giving me a blank box with a header stating about the file name...........weird and very annoying!!

Going by the TVMC guide on cloning Kodi it seems to allude that you can backup to your desktop and then restore to a new device. It would be so handy and I'd appreciate any further advice.

halion67

Jun 14, 2015

I don't even get far enough on the Amazon Fire TV for it "to know" it is a windows backup I'm trying to restore. It's basically just giving me a blank box with a header stating about the file name...........weird and very annoying!!

Going by the TVMC guide on cloning Kodi it seems to allude that you can backup to your desktop and then restore to a new device. It would be so handy and I'd appreciate any further advice.

Banister

Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, sorry I have no knowledge of TVMC or running Kodi in a Windows environment. I stick to what works for me as explained above. It's a ton of effort doing it from scratch like I did the first time, but providing you do regular backups it only takes less than a hour to set up a new box. I prefer not to use wizards at all because I want it set up the way I like it.

halion67

Jun 14, 2015
Yeah, I've tried a few "all in one" solutions and wasn't keen apart from TVMC. But even at that I have it tailored to how I like it and have fixed a few of the addons that weren't working.

Now that a few friends and family are asking me to set up their firesticks I thought cloning my laptop Kodi would be ideal as it would just be a matter of loading it up to a new installation (would be handy for me too to replicate my windows Kodi to my fire TV and firestick that I own).

Unfortunately I've hit a bit of a brick wall and am hoping someone can sort out this specific query for me.

Thanks again mate for taking the time to respond.