How can I get a faster load of movie posters/thumbnails?

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
I have my RPi2 hard-wired. We have 155/20 internet speeds. However, no matter what the add-on, it seems slow to load movie marquees/posters/thumbnails. We can navigate around just fine. It also doesn't seem to matter if they've loaded before. I'm assuming I need to do some type of better cache setting? Thanks in advance for the answer(s) and please speak in layman's terms.

alsop3105

Jun 25, 2015
It could be down to the sd card,i have 3 identical of which 2 work at a good speed whilst the other take twice as long to load up each addon.It might be worth checking it out.

ribsie

Oct 16, 2015
Agreed. Start with the SD CARD. Size at least 8GB and speed of 10 I have had great results.

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Thanks guys. Seems like it's an 8 gb card with a speed of 6.

tomtomclub... I have no idea what you mean by that.

Last edited:

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Download a small program called H2testw, this will measure the transfer speed of your SD card and also test to make sure the capacity is correct. A lot of cheapo SD cards you buy online don't always have the memory capacity they've been sold to you as.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Check this thread out, your looking for random read write speeds...
A lot of cards that are rated as class 10, only reach that speed when they are reading data from sequential blocks like a photo/video or music track for example.
And you can be dame sure this is the value they stick on the packaging lol.
They can be pretty rubbish when they need to read/write blocks from different parts of the disk like the Rpi needs it too.
So in fact some slower rated class 6 cards outperform class 10 cards when used for computing.
As a general rule there is little between SanDisk and Samsung cards, Samsung may have a slight edge I'd stay away from Kingston cards they are one of the worst offenders.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4076

You don't need to waste loads of cash on a super fast SD card either as the Rpi slot Max's out at around 22Mb I think !

Another thing you can do to help is reduce the resolution of your fanart and image resolution, and sometimes it's completely unrelated and its just that the site your scraping the fanart from is slow..

Last edited: