How much better is the Firetv?

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
Hey all,

I have an Ouya, and as we know it's working great now that all the bug have been adressed.
My only problem is that I have a Huge library, about 10k items there, and it is somewhat slow, to load the library, grab the streams etc...

The same library is really fast on a 5 years old macbook, so it seams to be an hardware problem.

So... I was wondering how better is the firetv? To those who have both, do you really think it worth the investment? Is it 2 times faster, or 5 or not that much? And does it works as good as the Ouya?

Thansk for your input.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
1) consider how much more RAM and general power your MABOOK has over that little OUYA.

2) Consider how new XBMC for ANDROID is.

These opperating systems are designed differently. They manage and handle data differently. Things should always be faster on a MacBook than an Android Device (for now).

A 10k+ library would slow ANY DEVICE down... Especially an Android Device. I gotta ask, is 10k needed or over kill? ;)

I have all of these devices and as far as the loading of a 10k Library, fire tv won't be fast than the ouya.

Last edited:

FoneFreak

Aug 27, 2013
They are mostly all similar in terms of clicking a link and a movie plays (this is the time everybody tries and wants to improve on)
Pi is the slowest but s89/firetv/ouya etc all similar.

its all down to front end experience, ie ouya controller is used and you have ouya menu, fire tv you have controller and amazon layout etc, s89 you have raw android layout.

Personal choice but not worth the change if you already have any of the above devices.

in saying that I have a Celeron NUC and its better than all the above!!

Last edited:

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for your answers.

Thanks Shogun to still be out there for us , of course it is over kill but that is the point :p
I don't even know where my Ouya controller is, nor that I have seen the Ouya menu in the last 3 months.
Ouya rocks, as is, period, just a bit slow.
I guess I'll skip the next gen. of android/tv device.

Cheers.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Hey all,

I have an Ouya, and as we know it's working great now that all the bug have been adressed.
My only problem is that I have a Huge library, about 10k items there, and it is somewhat slow, to load the library, grab the streams etc...

The same library is really fast on a 5 years old macbook, so it seams to be an hardware problem.

So... I was wondering how better is the firetv? To those who have both, do you really think it worth the investment? Is it 2 times faster, or 5 or not that much? And does it works as good as the Ouya?

Thansk for your input.
I have an:
OUYA
Apple 1
Apple 2
Amazon Fire tv
Gbox

my favorite for speed and ease of use is the amazon fire
and it is still only a hundred bucks, or 2 tanks of gas

Open your wallet as you can always sell it if you are not happy

Why so much "library" when you all you need to do is "SEARCH" ?
just curious

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
Well I kind of like the fealing to have a bunch of movies I guess :p

I made a lot of Playlists, by genre, by country, by rating, by period of time etc...

When I don't know what to watch I just roam around and find something ;)

And when I search for something, it's already in my library, I don't have to spend times in addons.