how much xbmc worth for you?

ponghclub

Aug 3, 2014
you're pay for cable service... netflix... etc. how much are you willing to pay for xbmc? [emoji6]

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
xbmc/kodi is free software, not an actual "service", and done in their spare time. if you feel the need or desire to pay for it, there are plenty of donate links for .org, the hub, and for the individual devs out there. feel free to use them. I'm quite sure they wont turn you down on your generous offer. :)

jonc

Developer
Jun 16, 2013
Bangkok
I do not have cable etc, but I do have XBMC and it for free, gives me more (in truckloads) than I will ever watch or use, and it is free, and did I mention XBMC is free?

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
hey pal,s, you dont get any better then free xbmc with a little shake of xbmchub goodness in it.;)

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I would pay $0 for XBMC. Most of the time, the people who want to know how to get paid from it are always the folks that put no energy into its platform or its community. If XBMC decided to charge for KODI (and they won't) we, and others, would release forks of the open source project for free.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I also can't ever see team XBMC/Kodi charging for their software but if this day ever did come to pass I might consider paying a small charge for it as imho its simply better than any other media player on the internet.
Although you can be sure as "eggs is eggs" within a matter of hours of this mythical day coming into being the OSS project would be forked and someone would have a crack out for the paid version.
You can look at Plex as an example of this, forks of their now paid for apps are openly discussed on their official forums

As good as the addons and devs here and elsewhere are I would never consider paying for them, profiting from piracy or content you don't own is wrong and something I would never be party to or condone.

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
one of the reasons why xbmc is what it is, is because its an open source software, community mucking in with code, tips, ideas, inspiration and enthusiasm to create what we have today. If it wasn't for XBMC, XBMCHUB, XBMCHUB DEVs and ORG Devs, we would not have reached what we have today.

XBMC is fun and movies, make it a paid model and you just got crapflix.
Love this site, love this community love Dev's and love xbmc

crazywife

Jun 27, 2014
"As good as the addons and devs here and elsewhere are I would never consider paying for them, profiting from piracy or content you don't own is wrong and something I would never be party to or condone."

I would call the British TV license an act of piracy :) - and they want how many millions to pay for it, God now that is a real scam.
I always remember a comment by Simon Xfactor Cowell, he in effect said, God I'm not rich you want to see how some these people at the top of BBC live! -

GPL is not about free in the way most people think anyway, read the license :)

Just my 2 cents.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I would call the British TV license an act of piracy :) - and they want how many millions to pay for it, God now that is a real scam.
I always remember a comment by Simon Xfactor Cowell, he in effect said, God I'm not rich you want to see how some these people at the top of BBC live! -
Well I wouldn't disagree about the excesses of the publicly funded BBC,
before it closed down I used to have to occasionally go to Television Centre in Shepherds Bush for work and the corporate excesses/extravangances I saw there were only matched by those I've seen in Google's London head office, but as Google is a private company they're free to do what they want with their money

On a side note at the time I went to the BBC for work I used to also go to a big ITV playout centre and office complex just off Tottenham Court Road and briefly met Simon Cowell there, he was a thoroughly nice and charming man and not at all like his tv persona (oh and there were no corporate excesses there either)

crazywife

Jun 27, 2014
Hi stammie - I always remember that comment by Cowell - this is after he became a big name and I just thought, God here is someone quite senior in the world of showbiz and very far from poor and he just let that slip out. It then made me think about all those pounds being taken out of every UK household every day, what a scam, up until then I thought oh, the BBC must be accountable to the license payers, but his comment made me think that maybe, some at the top of that tree are skimming a rather large slice for themselves and their friends. This kind of legal plunder as I like to call it, is far worse than anything that any XBMC dev could come up with :), I also see the movie industry boasting about record profits, then talking about how the little people in the industry are hard up, I say take from the top and then start re-distributing more fairly then.

Just my random thoughts.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I wouldn't know about or care to comment on any skimming off of the top,
but I did see the excesses of the things freely available to anyone in the building.
As I said the only place I've seen anything like this and truth be told it was even more so here was at Google but its their money and they can do what they like with it.
One only has to see the fees paid to the um... "talent" at the BBC to know they are a corporation without any grip on reality! I also work in Government departments from time to time with The Treasury probably ranking highest in the pecking order and without commenting on the work ethic (or lack of) I see there even the highest echelons of the British government don't have such a wasteful attitude to the money we give them.
All that being said rightly or wrongly the BBC and the license fee are legal and they do pay for all their content, even if they do over pay with our money, for several decades now my attitude has been and always will be that free distribution of knowledge and culture is absolutely ok but you should never try to make money out of someone else's work.

I also know a lower cog or two in the movie industry trust me financially they are doing just fine and are some of XBMC's greatest users!