How to check a jailbroken Apple TV 2 without TV?

resucami

Mar 12, 2015
I sold a jailbroken Apple TV to someone on Craigslist who now started to threaten me on the phone and in text messages because he does not understand what a jailbroken Apple TV is (and that sometimes plugins for certain channels do not work as they should).

I am willing to take the device back but I do not want this person in my house. Is there a way to check the software version on the Apple TV without a TV? Best would be if I could do this with a MacBook, if really necessary I could also do it with a Windows netbook.

I am asking this because I'm somewhat worried that this person might have updated the Apple TV software and by this morph the thing into a "normal" Apple TV.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
It wouldn't be the end of the world if your customer updated the software.

It is easy enough to re-jailbreak on version 5.3 -- a version that Apple continues to sign.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Better to sell that on ebay, probably would bring more money too. But a much safer transaction for sure.

If you save the shsh blobs you can always reset it. If the buyer had updated it I would stand firm on no returns.
Bring a gun with you, seriously or the state wrestling champion.

resucami

Mar 12, 2015
Bring a gun with you, seriously or the state wrestling champion.
I checked the guy's phone number and found out that he sold two weapons last year on backpage.com. He does not have my phone number (only my Google Voice number) and he does not know where I live. I am still a little worried and that is why I decided to play nice and take the thing back. It's not worth the $160; I will probably get something around that also on Ebay.

resucami

Mar 12, 2015
It is easy enough to re-jailbreak on version 5.3 -- a version that Apple continues to sign.
Thanks. That relaxes me. The device has 5.2 on it now. Wouldn't it anyway be better to update (re-jeailbreak?) to 5.3 and then install Kodi 14.1 on it?

resucami

Mar 12, 2015
I got the device safely back and updated (re-jailbroke) to Apple TV software 5.3 and installed Kodi 14.1. Runs very well.

I am once more very impressed by the detailed and clear instructions for jailbreaking the Apple TV, and installing and configuring Kodi. This is awesome!

Last edited: