How to delete music from library

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Hi,just wondering if its possible to delete music from my library once it has been scanned in?
I know in the library section for movies or tv shows the context box has this option to remove whichever file we want but this doesnt seem to be the case for music.
Ive been reading on xbmc.org and the only way i can seem to do this is to delete my music.db file but that deletes everything.
Is it not possible to add/delete songs/albums as we want from the music library? If its possible to do this with movies,is there some reason its not possible with music? cheers

May 6, 2012
England
I thought you could remove music in exactly the same way as videos, however if that's not the case you could always delete/move the files you don't want and then in settings select "clean library" - this will remove any entries that no longer exist.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Yeah thats another way round it but the problem with that is if i have a large music collection it means i have to delete from my hardrive or move the songs/albums to somewhere else then clean library then move them back again.Its a right pain the hoop lol and i dont want to be having to sort through loads of music and remove it from the source when all i want to do is remove the items in questions from the library.Surely a context menu "delete from library" would be the best solution just like in videos as you say.
Just wondered if there is a reason it cant be done?

May 6, 2012
England
It would still add the item again on next scrape though just as it would in videos. How about if you go to the sub folder and tell it not to update in future. On phone at moment but there should be an option for that, just can't remember exactly what it's called!

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
No worries mate.Il have a play around with it again some time.Too busy watching ip man at the minute :D
Still the best idea would be a "remove from library" option same as movies.I really dont know if there is a reason why this isnt available

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Not the best option, perhaps, but you can always remove the SOURCE from the Files view. This will ask if you want to remove content as well. Say yes... Takes about 45 seconds for me, with a hundred, or so, albums. Then, delete the content you don't want from your collection then rescrape the source not the library.

As said above. If you remove it independently within XBMC, it will only rescan it on next update.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Thanks umouch.
Do you think its possible in the future for a remove from library option like in the videos? Or is there a reason it cant be done

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
There absolutely should be. If I were you I would make the request over at XBMC.org. They will tell you if there is a better method, plans to add the feature, or reason they cannot.

They are fairly straightforward guys, and gals, over there.